Wednesday, April 26, 2017/ 8:30 PM / NBS
The Q1 2017 road transport data reflected that 2,556 road crashes occurred in Q1 2017. Speed violation is reported as the major cause of road crashes in Q1 and it accounted for 42.69% of the total road crashes reported. Loss of control and dangerous driving followed closely as they both accounted for 12.73% and 7.34% of the total road crashes recorded.
A total of 8,672 Nigerians got injured in the road traffic crashes recorded. 8,151 of the 8,672 Nigerians that got injured, representing 94% of the figure, are adults while the remaining 521 Nigerians, representing 6% of the figure are children. 6,422 male Nigerians, representing 74%, got injured in road crashes in Q1 while 2,250 female Nigerians, representing 26%, got injured.
Similarly, a total of 1,466 Nigerians got killed in the road traffic crashes recorded in Q1. 1,363 of the 1,466 Nigerians that got killed, representing 93% of the figure, are adults while the remaining 103 Nigerians, representing 7% of the figure are children. 1,164 male Nigerians, representing 79%, got killed in road crashes in Q1 while 302 female Nigerians, representing 21%, got killed.
Estimated vehicle population in Nigeria as at Q1 2017 was put at 11,458,370. Commercial vehicles accounted for 53.8% of the total vehicle population in Nigeria, private vehicles accounted for 44.5%, government vehicles accounted for 1.65 and diplomat vehicles accounted for 0.1%. With the total population of the country puts at 193,392,517 in 2016, Nigeria’s vehicle per population ratio is put 0.06.
Data on the category of vehicles involved in road crashes in Q1 2017 reflected that 59% of vehicles are commercial (2,428), 40% are private (1,617), 1% are government (55) and the remaining are diplomat (3).
FCT Recorded the highest number of road crashes in Q1 2017 and closely followed by Kaduna and Niger States while Borno and Bayelsa States recorded the least.
A total of 220,736 national drivers licenses were produced in Q1 2017. Lagos and FCT produced the highest number of drivers’ licenses while Yobe and Kebbi States produced the least numbers of national drivers’ license.
Similarly, a total of 113,358 vehicle number plates were produced in Q1 2017. Ebonyi and Anambra states produced the highest number of vehicle plate numbers while Lagos and Sokoto States produced the least numbers of vehicle plate numbers in Q1 2017.
Click Here to Download Q1 2017 Road Transport (PDF) Report
Latest 2017 NBS Reports
1. FAAC Disburses N466.93bn in March 2017
2. Daily Energy Generation Attained a Peak of 5,846 MW in Q1 2017 - NBS
3. Average Prices of PMS, AGO, HHK and Cooking Gas Price Watch - March 2017
4. Average Intercity Transport Fare Increases to N1,466.46 in Mar’17 from N1,411.87 in Feb’17
5. Average Prices of 1kg of Yam Tubber Increased by 63.4% YoY in March 2017
6. CPI Drops to 17.26% in March 2017, 0.52% Lower Than 17.78% February Rate
7. 7.49m Nigerians Are Registered Under the National Pension Scheme As At Q1 2017 - NBS
8. Lagos Airport Accounted for 69.1% of International Passengers in 2016 - NBS
9. 11,363 Road Traffic Crashes Recorded in 2016 - NBS
10. FAAC Disburses N514.15bn in February 2017
11. FAAC Disburses N430.16bn in January 2017
12. Average Intercity Transport Fare Decreases to N1,411.87 in Feb’17 from N1430.63 in Jan’17
13. Average Price of 1kg of Rice Increased by 68% YoY in February 2017
14. Average Prices of PMS, AGO, HHK and Cooking Gas Price Watch - February 2017
15. CPI Drops to 17.78% in February 2017, 0.94% Lower Than 18.72% January Rate
16. Nigeria Produced 43.49m Tons of Solid Minerals in 2016 - NBS
17. NIPOST Generates N8.84bn Revenue in 2016 - NBS
18. Q4 2016 Merchandise Trade Intensity - Total Trade Grows by 6.5% in 2016
19. Merchandise Trade Grows in Q4 2016 - Records First Quarterly Positive Trade Balance Since Q4 2015
20. GDP Contracts by -1.30% in Q4 and -1.51% for Full Year 2016; Is Nigeria on Its Way Out of Recession?
21. JAMB Received 11.7m Applications Between 2010 and 2016
22. Average Kerosene Price Increases to N433.84 in Jan'17 from N231.85 in Dec'16
23. Average Intracity Transport Fare Increases to N122 in Jan'17 from N84.29 in Dec'16
24. Average Cooking Gas Price Increases to N2,567.56 in Jan’17 from N2,002.16 in Dec’16
25. Average Diesel Price Increases to N240.52 in Jan’17 from N196.20 in Dec’16
26. Average Petrol Price Increases to N148.7 in Jan'17 from N146.7 in Dec'16
27. CPI Rises to 18.72% in January 2017, 0.17% Higher Than 18.55% December 2016 Rate
28. GENCOs Issued Total Invoice of N331bn to DISCOs in 2016
29. Nigeria Produced 5.79 mln Tonnes of Fish Between 2010 and 2015
30. 4,296 Applications Were Received by NAFDAC for New Products Registration in 2016 - NBS
31. 19,833 Vessels Berthed At Nigerian Ports Between 2013 and 2016 - NBS
32. Total Value of Capital Imported into Nigeria in Q4 2016 Estimated at $1,548.88mln - NBS
33. Telecoms Sector Contributes N1,399bn to GDP in Q3 2016 - NBS
34. FAAC Disburses N426.88bn in December 2016 - NBS
35. Banking Sector Records 910.18m Volume of Transaction in 2016 on Electronic Payment Channels - NBS
36. Daily Energy Generation Attained a Peak of 3,859.59MW in Q4 2016 - NBS
37. 10.8% of Nigeria's Total Working Population Are Registered Under The National Pension Scheme - NBS
38. Nigeria Imports 4.83 bn Litres of PMS in Q4 2016 - NBS
39. 72.53% of Nigeria’s Prison Population in 2015 were Un-sentenced - NBS
40. Lagos, Ogun Top IGR for H1 2016