Wednesday, March 06, 2019 06:00 PM / NBS
The Q4 2018 road transport data reflected that 2,532 road crashes occurred in Q4 2018. Speed violation is reported as the major cause of road crashes in Q4 and it accounted for 52% of the total road crashes reported. Dangerous driving and wrongful overtaking followed closely as they both accounted for 9% and 8% of the total road crashes recorded respectively.
A total of 8,406 Nigerians got injured in the road traffic crashes recorded. 7,815 of the 8,406 Nigerians that got injured, representing 93% of the figure, are adults while the remaining 591 Nigerians, representing 7% of the figure are children. 6,194 male Nigerians, representing 74%, got injured in road crashes in Q4 while 2,212 female Nigerians, representing 26% got injured.
Similarly, a total of 1,538 Nigerians got killed in the road traffic crashes recorded in Q4 2018. 1,422 of the 1,538 Nigerians that got killed, representing 92% of the figure, are adults while the remaining 116 Nigerians, representing 8% of the figure are children. 1,209 male Nigerians, representing 79%, got killed in road crashes in Q4 while 329 female Nigerians, representing 21% got killed.
Estimated vehicle population in Nigeria as at Q4 2018 was put at 11,826,033 with the total population estimate of the country puts at 198,000,000 as at 2018. Nigeria's vehicle per population ratio is put 0.06. Data on the category of vehicles involved in road crashes in Q4 2018 reflected that 60.18% of vehicles are commercial (2,407), 38.30% are private (1,532), 1.50% are government (60) and the diplomat with one (1) vehicle involved.
A total of 185,883 national drivers licenses were produced in Q4 2018. Lagos and FCT produced the highest number of drivers' licenses while Zamfara and Kebbi States produced the least numbers of national drivers' license.
Latest 2019 NBS Reports
Q1 201922. Average Prices of PMS, AGO, HHK and Cooking Gas – December 2018