Zenith Bank Shareholders Approve Dividend Payout of N87.9bn


Tuesday, March 17, 2020 09:00AM / Zenith Bank Plc / Header Image Credit:  Zenith Bank Plc

Shareholders of Zenith Bank Plc, on Monday, at the 29th Annual General Meeting of the Bank held at the Shehu Musa Yaradua Centre, Abuja unanimously approved the proposed final dividend of N2.50 per share, bringing the total dividend payment for the 2019 financial year to N2.80 per share with a total value of N87.9 billion. This followed the recent release of the Bank's audited financial results for the 2019 financial year.


According to the audited financial results for the 2019 financial year, Zenith Bank recorded a profit after tax (PAT) of N208.8 billion, an increase of 8% from the N193 billion recorded in the previous year, thus achieving the feat as the first Nigerian Bank to cross the N200 billion mark. 


The Group also recorded a growth in gross earnings of 5% rising to N662.3 billion from N630.3 billion reported in the previous year. The gross earnings growth was driven by a 29% rise in non-interest income from N179.9 billion in 2018 to N231.1 billion in 2019 (an indication of a leap in foreign exchange income). Fees on electronic products continue to grow significantly with a 108% Year on Year (Y-o-Y) growth from N20.4 billion in 2018 to N42.5 billion in the current year (suggesting higher incomes pulled in from its payment platforms and automated teller machines). The rise reflects growth in digital retail activities.


Profit before tax increased by 5% growing from N232 billion to N243 billion in the current year, arising from topline growth and continued focus on cost optimization strategies. Cost-to-income ratio moderated from 49.3% to 48.8% (see table 1 below).  


Table 1 Snapshot of Zenith Banks Performance 2017-2019



FY 2019

FY 2018

FY 2017

Gross Earnings




Profit/Loss Before Tax








Profit/Loss After Tax




Dividends (N)




Cost to Income Ratio (%)




Net Assets




Source: Zenith Bank Financials, Proshare Research


The drive for cheaper retail deposits coupled with the low-interest yield environment helped reduce the cost of funding from 3.1% to 3.0%. However, this also affected net interest margin, which reduced from 8.9% to 8.2% in the current year due to re-pricing of interest-bearing assets. Although returns on equity and assets held steady year-on-year (Y-o-Y) at 23.8% and 3.4% respectively, the Group still delivered an improved Earnings per Share (EPS) which grew 8% from N6.15 to N6.65 in the current year. The payouts over the last three years has remained flat at roughly N2.50, but on a recent decline in the bank's share price dividend yield was recently 20.8% or 8.6% higher than the national inflation rate of 12.20% (see the bank's dividend history below).


Zenith Bank Dividend History on Proshare MARKETS

Proshare Nigeria Pvt. Ltd.


The Group increased its share of the market as it secured increased customer deposits across the corporate and retail markets as deposits grew by 15% to close at N4.26 trillion. Total assets also increased by 7% from N5.96 trillion to N6.35 trillion. The Group created new viable risk assets as gross loans grew by 22% from N2.016 trillion to N2.462 trillion. This was executed prudently at a low cost of risk of 1.1% and a significant reduction in the non-performing loan ratio from 4.98% to 4.30%. Prudential ratios such as liquidity and capital adequacy ratios also remained above regulatory thresholds at 57.3% and 22.0% respectively.


Proshare Nigeria Pvt. Ltd.


One Year Share Price Movement

Proshare Nigeria Pvt. Ltd.

Proshare Nigeria Pvt. Ltd.


Related News

  1. Zenith Bank Share Price Hits N10.85k; Lost N249.60bn In Market CAP, -42.29% Wtd
  2. Zenith Bank Retain Position as Nigerian's most Valuable Banking Brand
  3. FYE 2019: Key Takeaways From Zenith Bank's Investors Conference Call
  4. Zenith Bank Q4 2019 Results Review: Compelling Valuation at Current Levels
  5. Zenith Bank Reaffirms Market Leadership As PAT Crosses N200bn Mark in FYE 2019
  6. ZENITHBANK Declares N208bn PAT in 2019 Audited Results; Proposes N2.50k Final Div. (SP:N19.40K)
  7. Zenith Bank Promotes Women Empowerment with Z-Woman
  8. Zenith Bank Board Approves 2019 AFS And Payment of Final Dividend; Awaits Regulatory Approval
  9. Zenith Bank Empowers Nigerian SMEs, Partners Facebook On SME Digital Workshop
  10. Spectacle as Zenith Bank Lights up Ajose Adeogun Street, Victoria Island, Lagos
  11. Zenith Bank 9 months 2019 Result; Strong Profit Outlook from Ebusiness, Modest Top Line Earnings
  12. Zenith Bank Ignites Lagos with "Style by Zenith 2.0"
  13. Fitch Affirms Zenith Bank Plc at 'B' plus; Outlook Stable
  14. Zenith Bank and NFF Future Eagles Put Hungary to the Sword at the 2019 FIFA under -17 WC in Brazil

Proshare Nigeria Pvt. Ltd.

Proshare Nigeria Pvt. Ltd.
Related News