Fidelity Bank Plc Q3 2017 Results Review: Dividends to Support Solid Total Return


Thursday, October 26, 2017 /11:34AM / FBNQuest Research 

19% avg. increase to our 2017-18E EPS forecast and price target
Fidelity Bank’s (Fidelity) Q3 2017 results came in ahead of our expectations for the third quarter in a row. Opex and funding income in particular helped. Consequently, we have cut our opex forecasts by 4% on average over the 2017-18E period and raised our funding income forecasts by an average of 3% over the same period. Following a higher-than-expected provisions run-rate over 9M 2017, management raised its 2017E cost-of risk (COR) guidance to 1.25% (from 1.0%). 

We are slightly more conservative than management in our forecast. Fidelity is one of a few banks that have grown their loan books this year. As such, we have raised our 2017E loan growth forecast to 7.5% (from 3.5%). Despite having reflected the more expensive eurobond which the bank recently issued, the other positive changes to our forecasts underpin a 19% average increase to our 2017-18E EPS forecasts and our price target. Our new 2017E ROAE forecast of 8.9% (up from 7.5%) is still shy of management’s guidance of 10%, however. 

Having gained 93% ytd (vs. ASI 36%) our new price target implies a potential upside of 9.0% from current levels. Combined with a forecast dividend yield of 10.9%, the implied projected total return based on our valuation is 19.9%. We expect this to support the stock. We retain our Neutral rating. 

Solid earnings growth in Q3; PAT up 255% y/y
Fidelity’s Q3 2017 results showed marked y/y growth on all key headline items. Although pre-provision profits grew by single-digits (4%) y/y, PBT advanced by 63% y/y to N6.0bn. The key drivers behind the strong growth in PBT were a -21% y/y decline in loan loss provisions and a -4.0% y/y decline in opex. Moving back to pre-provision profits, the non-interest income line which grew by 24% y/y was the key driver behind the single digit growth. 

The growth in non-interest income was mainly underpinned by Net fx gains of N2.3bn (compared with a N1.7bn in Q3 2016). As for funding income, it came in flattish y/y. Further down the P&L, PAT grew by 255% y/y, thanks to a -55% y/y reduction in other comprehensive expense. 

Sequentially, PBT was up 12% q/q, thanks to a -38% q/q decline in loan loss provisions. Although funding income was up by 5% q/q, a -23% q/q reduction in non-interest income led to a 3% q/q decline in pre-provision profits. 

Despite the growth in PBT, PAT fell by -42% q/q because of a negative result of -N917 in other comprehensive income (OCI) compared with +N3.0bn in Q2 2017.   

Proshare Nigeria Pvt. Ltd.

Proshare Nigeria Pvt. Ltd.

Related News
1.       Fidelity Bank Successfully Issues $400 Million Eurobond
2.      Fidelity Bank Plc Announces Closure of Trading Window
3.      Fidelity Bank Plc Announces Invitations to Purchase Notes for Cash
4.  Fidelity Bank Plc Announces Plan to Raise $500m Eurobond; Offers to buy back $300m Debt
5.      Fidelity Bank Rated Amongst The Top 4 Banks In KPMG BICSS, As H1 2017 Profit Soar By 66% To N10.2bn
6.      Fidelity Bank - Still Worth Holding, On FY Dividend Expectations
7.      FIDELITYBK declares N9.04 billion PAT in Q2'17 Result,(SP:N1.37k)
8.     FIDELITYBK declares N9.04 billion PAT in Q2'17 Result,(SP:N1.37k)
9.  NSE Reviews Market Indices; Fidelity Bank, Total Nigeria Make Final Incoming Companies
10.  Fidelity Bank Plc Q1’17 Conference Call & Earnings Presentation - The Key Takeaways

Related News