Understanding Lafarge’s H1 2018 Results

Proshare

Thursday, July 26, 2018 / 11:55 AM / Proshare Research

 

Lafarge Africa Plc recently published its Q2 2018 and Half year 2018 results on the floor of the Nigerian Stock Exchange with growth recorded in the Nigerian operations in Q2 reflecting a resilient player in the cement market/sector, while its South African operations continued to show lacklustre performance as the industrial challenges at the Lichtenburg plant in Q2 undermined the H1 performance of the company. 

The company’s CFO, Bruno Bayet, made it known during its Investors Conference Call and Earning Presentation that the volume of cement sold in Nigeria grew by 19% while the volumes sold in South Africa dropped by -7%. 

The company recorded net sales of N162.29bn in H1 2018 as against N154.84bn in H1 2017. The Nigerian operations accounted for about 72% of the net sales with N116.93bn generated while South Africa accounted for the remaining 28%, generating N45.36bn net sales. 

Lafarge’s overall EBITDA was seriously affected by its South Africa operations with N-7.43bn recorded. This impacted the N35.13bn EBITDA achieved in Nigeria as it drew back the group EBITDA in H1 2018 to N27.70bn. The group’s profitability was also affected as the N-7.96bn loss recorded in H1 2018 in South Africa impacted the profit position. Though the Nigerian Operation recorded a profit of N4.06bn, this was not enough to salvage the group to profitability. 

Thus, operational activities at South Africa continues to be a drawback for the Lafarge group as shown in the table below:

 

 

H1 2018

H1 2017

Variation

Net Sales

Group

162,292

154,840

4.81%

 

Nigeria

116,926

111,420

4.94%

 

South Africa

45,366

43,420

4.48%

 

 

EBITDA

Group

27,701

37,058

-25.25%

 

Nigeria

35,129

36,153

-2.83%

 

South Africa

-7,428

905

-920.77%

 

 

PBT

Group

-6,346

18,160

-134.94%

 

Nigeria

5,106

19,880

-74.32%

 

South Africa

-11,452

-1,719

-566.20%

 

 

PAT

Group

-3,902

19,732

-119.77%

 

Nigeria

4,062

20,627

-80.31%

 

South Africa

-7,964

-895

-789.83%

Source: Lafarge IR Presentation, Proshare Research

  

Debt Refinancing Plan

The net financial debt of Lafarge Africa Plc was put at N256bn, as confirmed by the CFO during the Analyst presentation, the Board of Directors of Lafarge Africa has also approved a refinancing plan of this existing debt. 

We expect that the steps on refinancing will help prepare the company for future development in Nigeria, thus improving the Company’s leverage as well as strengthening its profitability; though the refinancing scheme is expected to go through both corporate and regulatory approvals. 

The proposed refinancing plan includes the following:

1.    A reduction of existing shareholders dollar denominated loan to $293 million; and 

2.  New right issue of N90bn to refinance short term Naira denominated borrowings and working capital, following a recently concluded right issue of N131.65 billion in 2017.

 

Any Prospects?

The company foresees a stable pricing environment in Nigeria which is expected to impact its performance positively. Also, its new-route-to-market initiatives will be delivered in H2 2018 while it will continue to focus on cash cost reduction to drive operational performance in H2. 

For South Africa, its management will focus on executing the turnaround plan which its implementation started in Q1. Actions around efficiency & cost management are also on track and will contribute to significant savings in production costs across all the segments in H2 2018.

 

Proshare Nigeria Pvt. Ltd.

 

Related News

1.       Lafarge Africa PLC Dedicated IR Page

2.      Lafarge Africa Plc Q2 2018 IR Presentation

3.      Lafarge Africa PLC - H1 Fails to Flatter, Rights Issue to Provide Reprieve

4.      Lafarge Africa Plc Q2 18 Results - Unchanged Rhetoric As Earnings Remain Depressed

5.      Lafarge Africa Plc H1 2018 Conference Call and Earnings Presentation - The Key Takeaways

6.      Lafarge Absorbs South Africa Operations’ Loss Off N162.29bn Revenue in H1 2018, (SP:N32.50k)

7.      Lafarge Africa Plc - Still Navigating Murky Waters

8.     Lafarge Africa Q1 2018 Results -Earnings Muted By Leverage and Weakness in SA OPS

9.      Lafarge Africa Plc Reports a Pretax Loss of N2.9bn in Q1 2018 Results

10.  Lafarge Africa Plc - One-Offs Weighed On Q4 2017 Earnings

11.   Lafarge Africa Plc Proposes N1.50k Per Share Dividend

12.  Lafarge Africa Plc Announces Board Changes

13.  Lafarge Africa Plc Announces Delay in Filing FY 2017 Financial Statements Lafarge Africa Plc Announces Postponement of Board Meeting

14.  Lafarge Africa Plc Announces Consideration of Audited Financial Statements and Dividend

15.   Lafarge Africa Plc Announces Plan to Discuss Dividend Consideration

READ MORE:
Related News
SCROLL TO TOP