Thursday, August 03, 2017 5:29PM / Proshare Markets
FBN Holdings Plc held its H1’17 Investors and Analyst Conference Call Earnings Presentation. Proshare NG participated along with leading market analysts and professionals.
The management of the bank stated that the bank did very well in H1 2017 despite challenges and acknowledged that there are hurdles to cross. Gradual economic recovery was witnessed in H1 2017 with increased foreign currency interventions. Inflation continues to decline while yields on investment securities was relatively stable at high levels and its positive for the bank.
A very important regulatory development that occurred in Q2 2017 is the issuance of a revised guideline on investment for Pension Fund Assets which now allows PFAs to invest in equities of Bank holding companies and is considered favourable to FBNH being an HoldCo. Also, the introduction of a special FX window for investors, exporters and end-users to deepen the FX market which has helped to improve dollar liquidity within the system.
The bank’s earnings generating capacity remained very strong with 7.8% YoY growth recorded in gross earnings while reduction was recorded in impairment charge following improvement in asset quality. Also, the structure of the bank’s funding base remained strong with stable deposits at competitive rates.
Cost to income ratio adjusted for FX revaluation gain closed at 54.7% in H1 2017 from 59.7% in H1 ’16. The ratio reflected a normalised performance from the one-off foreign exchange revaluation gains of the previous period. The bank’s cost optimisation initiatives continued to gain traction but partly offset by the currency devaluation and high inflationary environment
In a nutshell, below are the key takeaways from the H1 2017 earnings presentation made by the bank’s management;
• The key drivers of the rising OPEX of the bank are (1) Exchange rate and (2) Inflation.
• The bank’s 2017-2019 strategic outlook will continue to focus on rebuilding the group for enhanced shareholder value through the right people, right process and technology.
• The bank plans to achieve single digit NPL ratio by 2019.
• The bank expects to achieve enhanced revenue generation; and
• Plans to reduce cost of risk to less than 2% and improve return on equity to 20% by 2019.
1. FBN Holdings Plc H1’17 Results – Weak Underlying Earnings Compound Outlook
2. FBN Holdings: Basking In The Realm of High NIMs
3. FBNH H1-2017 Results - FX Gains Vanish, Impairments Still High as Profit Drops
4. FBN Holdings Plc Q2 2017 Results - Net Interest Income Up by +2.7% QoQ
5. FBN Holdings Plc H1'17 - Mixed Performances Amidst Impressive Top Line Growth
6. FBNH Declares N29.5bn PAT in Q2 2017 Results,(SP:N5.97k)
7. Is FBNH a good buy?
8. First Bank Introduces Salary Overdraft Facility
9. 5 Things to Take Away from FBNH's Recent Results
10. FBNH Releases Q4'16 and Q1'17 Results; Declares N16.1 bn Profit in Q1,(SP:N3.50k)
11. Convenience is the key word with FirstBank's FirstMobile
12. Short-Term Ratings on Five Nigerian Banks Raised to 'B' On Criteria Revision
13. FBNH Plc Notifies of Closed Period and Board's Approval of 2016 Audited Financial Statements
14. FBN Holdings Plc Extends Filing Date of 2016 Audited Financial Statements
15. Is FBNH the Rick Grimes of Nigeria?
16. Asset Quality Challenges Continue to Bite FBN Holdings Earnings, retain BUY
17. FBNH Declares N42.52 bn Profit in Q3 16 SP N3.00k
18. FirstBank Partners Nigerian-British Chamber of Commerce to drive MSME Growth.
19. FBN Holdings Plc Appoints Mr. Patrick Iyamabo as CFO for FirstBank of Nigeria Limited
20. Appointments within the FBN Holdings Group
21. FBN Holdings Plc Strong FX Gain Tapers Impact of Impairment Loss
22. Devaluation Serves as Earnings Outperformance Catalyst for FBN Holdings Plc in H1 2016
23. FBN Holdings Plc: Strong FX Gain Tapers Impact of Impairment Loss
24. FBNH Declares N35.9bn Profit Records 10.5 PAT decline in Q2 16 SP N3.45k
25. FBNH Issues Notification of Invitation of FirstBank ED by the EFCC
26. FBNH Conference Call Update - Begins Complete Overhaul of Risk Mgmt Framework
27. FBNH - Impairment charges erode returns though not without Silver-lining
28. FBNH Q4 15 Q1 16 Conference Call Earnings Presentation The key takeaways
29. FBNH FY 15 Q1 16 results - House cleaning as earnings plunge NPL ratio at a 10 year high
30. FBNH Releases Q4 15 and Q1 16 Results Records 82 PAT decline in Q4 SP N3.31k
31. FBNH Board Approves 2015 Audited Results Awaits Regulatory Approval