...As Sanwo-Olu signs Executive
Order for Rebuild Lagos Trust Fund
of reflection over the carnage sparked by the hijack of the #EndSARS protests
seems to have ended in Lagos with Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu leading the
battle to rebuild razed infrastructure.
Governor today (Wednesday) signed an Executive Order for the formation of an eight-man
Board to coordinate efforts to restore lost assets.
Nigeria Chairman, Mr. Yemi Cardoso will head the Board of the Lagos Rebuild
Board members were unveiled at a Press Conference at the Governor's Office,
said the Government decided to put the criminal destruction behind it and face
the huge and necessary task of rebuilding the State. The Government, he said,
would be embracing new standards of governance and building stronger
partnerships, which would enable the State to bequeath stronger institutions and
cohesion among residents.
spoke of how many friends and admirers of the State have been calling to lend a
hand in rebuilding the razed assets.
said: "In the last few weeks, we have been inundated with local and global
offers of assistance to rebuild our State and recover all we lost to arson and
violence in October. It is obvious that we can no longer wait to begin the
onerous task of reconstructing Lagos. In the next few days, our Government will
be sending a bill to the House of Assembly for the establishment of a Trust Fund
to Rebuild Lagos.
I am signing an Executive Order to set up an eight-man Lagos Rebuild Trust Fund
Committee, which will begin to oversee our recovery process. To ensure the
highest standards of probity, transparency and accountability, FBN Trustees
headed by Mr. Kunle Awojobi will oversee the Lagos Rebuild Trust Fund
Committee. The Committee will comprise five members from the private sector,
two members from the public sector and one member from the International Donor
"We will embrace new standards of governance and build stronger partnerships, stronger people, stronger institutions, and stronger Lagos. Our strength lies in our uncanny ability to overcome the most complicated challenges because we have people who genuinely love Lagos State and will assiduously do all they can to preserve its peace and unity".
said the Trust Fund would be responsible for getting detailed cost of
restructuring and rebuilding of destroyed assets. The Funds, he added, will
also advise the State Government on the most critical assets to prioritise and
identify emergency response service critically needed. The rebuilding plan, the
Governor said, will be all-inclusive, stressing that the government would
welcome support and contributions from well-meaning individuals and corporate
organisations who believe in the Lagos Dream.
words: "I believe this is the starting point of a new socio-economic process. I
am hopeful that this initiative will help us to seamlessly make the transition
to a rebuilt Lagos with upgraded public structures, facilities and amenities. I
know that the ashes that presently dot our landscape will birth modern and
globally acceptable infrastructure.
"At the centre of this decisive action to rebuild Lagos is the need to closely work with the people and organisations who call Lagos home; those who believe in the Lagos Dream, and those who share our collective vision of a mega-city that thrives on peace and unity among all ethnic groups. Those who know that the future of Lagos is tied to our ability to keep nurturing our State and those who are ready to commit their resources to the glory of our State, because their future is the future of Lagos".
members of the Trust Fund's Board are the Managing Partner, Olaniwun Ajayi LP,
Prof. Konyinsola Ajayi, SAN; Chief Executive Officer of Sterling Bank, Mr.
Abubakar Suleiman; Co-Founder and CEO, Flutterwave; Mr. Gbenga Agboola; Vice
Chairman, Standard Chartered Bank, Mrs. Bola Adesola - all representing the private
sector - and a representative of an International Donor Agency.
Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budget, Mr. Sam Egube, and Permanent
Secretary, Ministry of Works and Infrastructure, Engr. Jimi Hotonou, are
members of the Board representing the public sector.
part of Government's objectives to fully heal the wounds of the crisis, the
Governor also announced six other Committees. They are: Business Continuity
Committee; Assessment Committee; Execution, Measurement and Evaluation Committee,
Communication and Engagement Committee, Trust Fund Implementation Committee and
Security and Enforcement Committee.
the move, Sanwo-Olu expressed optimism that the State would attain new heights
of development for a more resilient system and become more united in achieving
its development goals.
1. #EndSARS: The Aftermath - OpEd by Reuben Abati , November 03, 2020
3. Lagos Coordinated Attacks: An Attempt to Weaken Southwest Economy LASG, October 25, 2020
4. The #ENDSARS Protests: A Fundamental Lesson in Democratic Governance - Bola Tinubu, October 25, 2020
5. Our Youth and the Unfolding National Crisis: Need for Urgent Intervention - Concerned Nigerians, October 23, 2020
6. President Buhari Calls for Peace, but Insists on Decisive Action Against Carnage - State House, October 22, 2020
7. #ENDSARS: President Buhari to Address the Nation by 7pm - State House, October 22, 2020
8. NBA Condemns the Killing of Peaceful #ENDSARS Protesters in Lagos by the Nigerian Military - NBA, October 21, 2020
9. Deja VU - In Tragic Vein - Wole Soyinka, October 21, 2020
10. Statement by Olusegun Obasanjo on Violence Against Protesters in Nigeria: An Appeal for Calm - Olusegun Obasdanjo, October 21, 2020
11. Lekki Toll Plaza Attack: Governor Sanwo-Olu Sets Up 5-Man Fact Finding Committee - LASG, October 21, 2020
12. #ENDSARS Protests: Speaker, Gbajabiamila Calls for Wholesale Reforms of The Nigeria Police Force - House of Reps, October 20, 2020
13. IGP Deploys Anti-Riot Police Nationwide To Protect Lives and Defend Critical Infrastructure - Police, October 20, 2020
14. Lagos State Police to Enforce 24 Hour Curfew, Proshare Reverts to Remote Access Work - October 20, 2020
15. #EndSARS: Understanding Nigeria's Emerging Active Citizens- Abiodun Awonusi, October 20, 2020
16. Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu Imposes 24-hour Curfew in Lagos State - LASG, October 20, 2020
17. #EndSARS: The Generation that said "Enough is Enough"- Reuben Abati, October 20, 2020
20. The #EndSARS Protests and the Problem of Police Reform in Nigeria - CSL Research, October 15, 2020
21. #EndSars Protest Movement A Watershed Moment in the Quest for Genuine Change in Nigeria - Ahmed Sule, Proshare, October 15, 2020
22. SARS and The Youth Revolt - Olusegun Adeniyi, Thisday, October 15, 2020
23. Appeal court declares Police Act 2020 illegal, nullifies constable recruitment - Punch, October 14, 2020
24. A Nigerian internet or social media shutdown? What to know and do - TechCabal, October 14, 2020
25. Presidential Panel on Police Reforms Swings Into Action, Okays 5-Point Demand of Protesters - State House, Proshare, October 13, 2020
26. #EndSARS: Almost a Nigerian Revolution - Reuben Abati, Proshare, October 13, 2020
27. VIDEO: #EndSARS: President Buhari Reaffirms Disbandment of FSARS, Assures Nigerians of Police Reforms - WebTV, October 12, 2020
28. #EndSARS: IGP Orders Immediate Dissolution of FSARS Formation Nationwide - Proshare, October 11, 2020
29. Download PDF: Order and Directives - Restrictions on The Operations of Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad - Proshare, October 11, 2020
30. VIDEO: #EndSARS:The Quest For Reforms And Effective Policing In Nigeria - WebTV, October 10, 2020
31. President Buhari Signs the Nigeria Police Bill 2020 into Law - Proshare, September 17, 2020
33. The Kolade Johnson Killing: #ENDSARS #ReformPoliceNG Group Calls for Signing of Police Reform Bill - Proshare, April 05, 2019
34. VIDEO: Kolade Johnson Killing: #ENDSARS #ReformPoliceNG Group Call for Signing of Police Reform Bill - WebTV, April 05, 2019
35. NBS Publishes 2019 Corruption in Nigeria Survey Report - Proshare, December 06, 2019
36. 134,663 Crime Cases Were Reported in 2017 - NBS - Proshare, June 26, 2018
37. National Corruption Survey: Corruption in Nigeria - Bribery as Experienced by the Population - Proshare, August 16, 2017
42. PDF: Police Affairs / Budgets
44. Public Order, Safety and Crime StatisticsPHCN, Police Most Corrupt in Nigeria, By ICPC - Proshare, June 29, 2006
Related News on Governance and Nigeria's Future
1. Igboro ti Daru: Governance, Leadership, Ethics - How To Build A Thriving Nigerian Economy - Olufemi Awoyemi, Proshare, June 29, 2019
2. Beyond Politics - A Government Within A Government Has Always Existed - Olufemi Awoyemi, Proshare, August 08, 2018
3. Ogun Standard Education: A Way Forward - Olufemi AWOYEMI - Proshare, May 23, 2017
4. Leadership, Change and Corporate Transformation - The Nigerian Experience - Olufemi Awoyemi, Proshare, November 07, 2017
5. A Village Made Me - Our Collective Story of Humble Beginnings - Olufemi Awoyemi, Proshare, December 11, 2019
6. Memo to The Market - The NSE, Oscar Onyema Foundation and Corporate Governance - Olufemi Awoyemi, Proshare, August 20, 2018
7. Where Nigeria got it Wrong - Olufemi Awoyemi, Proshare, December 01, 2014
8. The Case Against High Interest Rates in Time of Contagion - Bola Tinubu - Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Proshare, May 03, 2020
9. Nigeria's Economy After Oil: How Should We Prepare? - Bode Agusto, Proshare, April 24, 2020
10. Nigeria - How to Win - Bode Agusto, Proshare, April 16, 2018
11. Can Africa Afford COVID-19 Lockdowns? - Chukwuma Soludo, Proshare, April 24, 2020
12. Economic and Institutional Restructuring for the Next Nigeria - Soludo - Chukwuma Soludo, Proshare, October 01, 2019
13. Nigeria: Where is the New Economy? - Chukwuma Soludo, Proshare, August 20, 2012
14. Full Transcript of Professor Charles Soludo's lecture at the APC ... - Chukwuma Soludo, Proshare, September 05, 2016
15. Reconstructing Nigeria for Prosperity (1) - Chukwuma Soludo, Proshare, September 03, 2012
16. Reconstructing Nigeria for Prosperity (2) - Chukwuma Soludo, Proshare, September 17, 2012
17. Reconstructing Nigeria for Prosperity (3) - Proshare Nigeria - Chukwuma Soludo, Proshare, October 02, 2012
18. The Hard Facts to Rescue the Nigerian Economy ... - Apr 5, 2017 - Chukwuma Soludo, Proshare, April 05, 2017
19. PDF -Soludo on Buharinomics: Lecture Paper - Proshare - November 19, 2015
20. The Quadrilemma of Buharinomics - Temitope Oshikoya - June 03, 2015