Wednesday, January 24, 2018 /03:10PM /Cordros
The global economy outperformed most predictions
in 2017, and the momentum is expected to continue in 2018. Interestingly thus
far, the recovery is broad-based across most advanced, emerging, and developing
Back home, Nigeria’s economy has recovered from
the recession of 2016, and is forecast to grow at its fastest pace in two years
in 2018. All economic indicators point to positive direction and the sound of
downside risks is barely perceptible.
While we share consensus view of broadly better
economic prospect, we should also mention, in Nigeria’s case, the strong commodity
risk factor backing the outlook. As a result, in this edition of our report on
Nigeria and its markets, we discuss the outlook for 2018 in three different
scenarios and specifically, the implications of each scenario.
We believe this is the best course to take during
recovery in a sub-optimally diversified economy, with weak stabilizers.
This is the year to "look beneath the surface!"
We base the scenarios on developments that are
familiar with Nigeria, and hence, consider each of them a likely occurrence.
But on balance, we rank the scenarios 2-3-1 in order of likelihood.
1. Afrinvest Presents 2018 Economic
Outlook: The Virtuous Cycle… Again!
2. 2018 Outlook: Elections
Approaching; Not a Lost Year
3. NSR H1 2018 (6) – GDP Juggling optimism on a
4. Growing Beyond Numbers: Will Nigeria’s Growth Be
Inclusive in 2018 and beyond?
5. NESG 2018 Nigerian economic outlook:Salami harps on
6. NSR H1 2018 (5) - Crude Oil Sunny with a chance of
7. Outlook 2018 - On Thin Ice; Charting a Course to
8. NSR H1 2018 (4)- Commodity prices crater from supply
9. FY 2018 Outlook - A Rising Tide
10. 2018 Outlook:NSE targets Demutualization, Exchange
Traded Derivatives launch
11. NSE Reviews 2017 Market Performance and Gives
Outlook for 2018
12. NSR H1 2018 (3)- Constructive Flows to EMs But
13. NSR H1 2018 - Africa Economy Back From The Brink
14. Nigeria Outlook 2018 - The Silver Lining?