February 9, 2018 /15:05 PM /Fitch Ratings
Fitch Ratings has affirmed the National Long and Short-Term Ratings of Stanbic IBTC Holding Company Plc (SIBTCH) and its main operating subsidiary, Stanbic IBTC Bank Plc (SIBTC), at 'AAA(nga)' and 'F1+(nga)' respectively.
Key Rating Drivers
SIBTCH's National Ratings are based on potential support from its parent, South Africa's Standard Bank Group Limited (SBG/Group; BB+/Stable) if required. Our view of institutional support considers SIBTCH's strategic importance to SBG, high levels of integration between the parent and the subsidiary, as well as SBG's majority shareholding in SIBTCH (53.07% through Stanbic Africa Holdings Limited).
SIBTCH is the holding company for SBG's Nigerian operations. Its main operating entity, SIBTC, is a mid-tier commercial bank, which forms 95% of the holding company's assets. In our view, SBG's support would extend to both SIBTC and SIBTCH. SIBTC is therefore rated the same as the holding company.
Given Nigeria's Country Ceiling of 'B+', SIBTCH's and SIBTC's National Ratings could withstand up to a two-notch downgrade of SBG's Long-Term Foreign-Currency IDR of 'BB+' before they would be affected. Downside risk to the ratings could also stem from a decline in SBG's willingness or ability to provide support, or from a change in SBG's stake, resulting in a loss of control.
A downgrade of Nigeria is unlikely to result in a downgrade of SIBTCH/SIBTC's National Ratings.
1. SKYEBANK, WEMABANK and FIDELITYBK Dropped by Over 4% After Today’s Trading
2. Stanbic IBTC Plc Appoints Mr. Adekunle Adedeji as Group Chief Financial Officer
3. Stanbic IBTC Holdings Plc Announces Board Meeting Date and Closed Period
4. Stanbic IBTC Holdings Plc Closed Period Commences on December 01, 2017
5. Stanbic IBTC Holdings Plc 9M’17 Results - Strong Balance Sheet Growth to Support Future Earnings
6. Stanbic IBTC Holdings Reports Q3 2017 Results – Shares Outperform the Index
7. STANBIC Declares N37.67 bn PAT in Q3 2017 Results,(SP:N44.05k)
8. Stanbic IBTC Holdings Q2 2017 Results Review - Likely Easing of Cost of Risk In H2 Bodes Well
9. Stanbic IBTC Holdings Plc H1'17 - Earnings Beat Estimates Despite Higher Provisioning
10. Stanbic IBTC Holdings Q2 2017 Results: Shares Outperformed the Index