Friday, January 08, 2016 08.00AM / SEC
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has invited BGL Securities Limited, BGL Assets Management Limited and their sponsored individuals to appear before the SEC Administrative Proceedings Committee (SEC APC). This follows the receipt of ten (10) new complaints, with total monetary value of over N2.9 billion, against them, received between 20th May, 2015 and 10th November 2015 from various investors.
The investors have alleged several violations of the Investments and Securities Act 2007, SEC Rules and Regulations as well as the Code of Conduct for Capital Market Operators including, amongst others:
- Performance of a capital market function without due registration
- Promoting and marketing products not registered by the Commission
- Failure/refusal to resolve clients’ complaints
- Failure to file statutory returns
- Furnishing the Commission with false and misleading information
The respondents have been duly notified of their invitation to appear before the SEC APC and have been asked to file their defense ahead of the hearing. The hearings are slated to hold on Wednesday 3rd February, 2016 during which the respondents would be given fair-hearing on each of the allegations.
1. Re: Confusion hits investors as Trading on BGL Plc Shares is Suspended on NASD OTC Platform – Sep 18, 2015
2. N28.9bn fraud: EFCC arrests BGL boss, Okumagba – Sep 1, 2015
3. Alleged Infractions: BGL to Appear Before SEC On Tuesday, Aug 04, 2015
4. FHC Orders SEC to vacate suspension of BGL Plc and sponsored individuals
5. SEC Suspends BGL and Its Sponsored Individuals from All Capital - May 21, 2015
6. The BGL Debacle, Articles | THISDAY
7. Federal Court nullifies SEC decision to take over BGL Plc – May 08, 2015
8. BGL Plc - Of Regulatory Action, Investor Confidence Issues and Matters Arising – Apr 24, 2015
9. BGL to undergo re-capitalization process
10. Capital Market: BGL Crisis Indicts SEC, NSE – Experts | Apr 27, 2015.
11. BGL to List Shares on NSE - Proshare
12. SEC suspends BGL board, constitutes interim body
13. Private Placement Laws in Nigeria – A critique of Stella Erhurhoro vs BGL Plc - Feb 18, 2014
14. SEC confirms investigation of BGL
15. Okumagba Elected President, Chartered Institute of Stockbrokers