Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2.00PM / Proshare WebTV
As the year 2017 wraps up and we brace up for the new year 2018, it has been an eventful year for the banking sector and the financial services industry.
In a brief exclusive interview recently with Proshare WebTV the GMD, Access Bank Plc Herbert Wigwe, gave a brief insight on the developments in the Banking sector for 2017 and what will shape the industry in 2018.
He said, “I think we fared quite well in 2017, in spite of the difficulties and the fact that we are just truly coming out of recession. One thing is clear risk management has gotten a lot better in all the banks and I am talking about all aspect of risks from credit to liquidity.”
According to him, there has been greater collaboration between the regulators and the rest of the industry to ensure that there is system stability.
He believe that despite the difficulties experience in the first half of the year, the rest of the year has turned out for the industry.
Looking at 2018, Wigwe shared that there will be a lot more focus on retail, supporting sectors of the economy that will lead to import substitution.
The Access Bank boss said there will also be increasing activities in the key sectors of the Nigerian economy like the Agric and power sectors.
Mr. Herbert Wigwe speaking further, noted that the private sector had a major role to play in driving the diversification of the Nigeria economy.
2. 2018-2022 Transformational Strategy: Access Bank targets 30ml customers
3. CBN Extends Settlement Banking Arrangement to All Clearing Sessions Effective January 1, 2018
4. Banking Sector Q3'17 Earnings Outlook
5. Nigeria - Banking Crisis to Be Averted As Liquidity Constraints Ease
6. Banking Sector Records 327.37m Volume of Transactions in Q2 2017 - NBS
7. Banking Sector Records 304.31 mln Volume of Transaction in Q1 2017 - NBS