Friday, May 12, 2017 11:41 AM / NASS
CONSIDERATION OF REPORT
Report of the Committee on Appropriation. 2017 Appropriation Bill (Budget 2017) SB. 412. By Senator Danjuma Goje
Chairman Committee on Appropriation, Senator Danjuma Goje gave a detailed presentation on the 2017 Budget. #OpenNass
Senate President Bukola Saraki said 'This is the first time since democracy that the budget is laid with details" He thanked the committee and Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu.
Senate Leader Ahmed Lawan said "This is a change era, we are happy for what we've been able to achieve so far. We can do better, the performance of the 2016 budget is far better than we've had in recent years"
I commend my colleagues for standing firm and working hard to achieve this feat and Nigerians for showing understanding through out"
Senator Akpabio thanked the leadership of Bukola Saraki for the commitment and the guidance, and particularly his concerns for Nigerians. 2016 budget was not as robustly done as the 2017. Budget is just a paper, it's implementation matters a lot. He urged the Federal Government to block leakages to avoid wastage and put more money into capital project. He said this is not a rubber stamp Senate, we must ensure every part of the country feels the impact of the 2017 Budget.
Senator Dino Melaye said Good thinking, good product. This Budget is a product of good thinking. I thank Senate President Bukola Saraki for his intellectual sagacity. This is a budget with complete details for the first time. This will afford CSOs and Nigerians opportunity to ask questions.
The world is happy with the 2017 budget process because its a Nigerian budget.
Senator George Akume hopes the 2017 budget will improve on security to avoid incessant killings of innocent Nigerians and robbery.
Senator Shehu Sani said we can have a beautiful budget with projects and figures, what is important is: what has that budget done to impact people. We have a duty to pull this country out of the economic woes, we have to keep doing things differently.
COMMITTEE ON SUPPLY
Senate dissolved to the committee of supply for the clause by clause consideration of the 2017 Appropriation Bill. #2017Budget
Senate suspended Order 13 to allow Plenary go on beyond 2pm.
· Debt Service (Local & Foreign): N1,663,885,430,499.
· Sinking Fund: N177,460,296,707. #2017budget
· Total Debt Service: N1,849,345,727,206.
· Recurrent Non-debt expenditure: N2,086,176,493,860
· Federal Executive Bodies: N1,413,441,659.90
· Service wide Votes &Pension: N191,631,846,958
· Total Pensions: N191,631,846,956. #2017Budget
· Other service wide votes: N138,700,000,000
· Reforms to Special Acts: N40,000,000,000
· Special Intervention recurrent (Heads):N350,000,000,000
· Presidential Amnesty Programme Stipends: N766,700,000,000
· Total Recurrent: N987,550,033,000
Capital Expenditure: N1,710,580,601,619.
Head of sub-total Federal Executive Bodies: N7,248,944,788
Head of Federal Executive Bodies:N1,717,829,446,407. #2017Budget
Capital Supplementation: N7,441,175,486,755. #2017Budget #TodayInPlenary.
Senate President Bukola Saraki took the 2017 budget recap again and the 2017 budget was read the third time and passed.
Senate President Bukola Saraki thanked the Appropriation Committee and Sub-Committees for a job well done on the 2017 Budget Process. He said this enabled us record a number of firsts, we had a joint public hearing for the first time & CSOs made recommendations. He said this is also the first time the line by line details of the NASS budget was laid down and made available, i am very proud. I appreciate the level of consultation and the remarkable difference from what we saw in the 2016 budget. He commended all Nigerians for their patience and understanding during the 2017 budget deliberations. He said 2016 budget is commendable in terms of implementation and i hope they will build on that. He appealed to the Executive to get the 2018 budget across by end of September latest to meet up with the December-January window.
Senate Leader Ahmed Lawan moved for other items on the order paper be stood down to another Legislative day. Minority Leader seconded.
Plenary is adjourned to Tuesday, 16th May, 2017. #GavelBangs.
1. OpenNASS - Senate and House of Reps Allocated N118.97m and N142.76m Respectively in 2017 Budget
2. Against The Run Of Play - I Beg To Disagree With President Goodluck Jonathan
3. Who is the Presidency? Interrogating The Anagnorisis Moment
4. We Are Committed To Delivering On The 3 Key Areas The APC Promised
5. The Market and Economy Was The Focus Today At The Nigerian Senate
6. Senate Today Passed The INEC Amendment Bill of 2017
7. Petroleum Industry Bill - Senate To Receive Final Report on PIGB April 25
8. The Good, Bad and Ugly of Nigerian Politics - The Nigerian Senate/FG
9. How Its Done - While We Draw An Economic Plan But Do Not Get To Work