October 20, 2020 / 5.30PM / Nigerian Police / Header Image Credit: Guardian Nigeria
The Inspector-General of Police (IGP) M.A Adamu, mni, has ordered the immediate nationwide deployment of an anti-riot police unit - the Police Mobile Force (PMF) - to protect lives and property of all Nigerians and secure critical national infrastructure across the country.
The IGP has also ordered massive deployment of Police operatives to strengthen the security around Correctional facilities nationwide.
The order is coming on the heels of increasing attacks including acts of arson and malicious damage to public and private facilities as recorded in some states of the Federation including the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
Consequently, the Commissioners of Police in the thirty-six (36) States of the Federation and the FCT have been instructed to identify and isolate law-breakers from peaceful protesters; immediately arrest and diligently prosecute such perpetrators of violence in their respective Commands.
The IGP notes that twelve (12) suspects have been arrested in connection with the attacks and arson on Police Stations in Benin, Edo State. Five (5) AK47 rifles earlier stolen from vandalized Police Stations have also been recovered.
The IGP calls on members of the public to provide the police with useful information that can lead to the re-arrest of the fleeing inmates, unlawfully released from Correctional facilities.
Meanwhile, the IGP has advised parents/guardians to prevail on their children/wards to steer-clear of acts of violence and criminality as the Force will exercise the full powers of the law to prevent any further attempt on the lives and property of citizens.
6. The #EndSARS Protests and the Problem of Police Reform in Nigeria - CSL Research, October 15, 2020
7. #EndSars Protest Movement A Watershed Moment in the Quest for Genuine Change in Nigeria - Ahmed Sule, Proshare, October 15, 2020
8. SARS and The Youth Revolt - Olusegun Adeniyi, Thisday, October 15, 2020
9. Appeal court declares Police Act 2020 illegal, nullifies constable recruitment - Punch, October 14, 2020
10. A Nigerian internet or social media shutdown? What to know and do - TechCabal, October 14, 2020
11. Presidential Panel on Police Reforms Swings Into Action, Okays 5-Point Demand of Protesters - State House, Proshare, October 13, 2020
12. #EndSARS: Almost a Nigerian Revolution - Reuben Abati, Proshare, October 13, 2020
13. VIDEO: #EndSARS: President Buhari Reaffirms Disbandment of FSARS, Assures Nigerians of Police Reforms - WebTV, October 12, 2020
14. #EndSARS: IGP Orders Immediate Dissolution of FSARS Formation Nationwide - Proshare, October 11, 2020
15. Download PDF: Order and Directives - Restrictions on The Operations of Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad - Proshare, October 11, 2020
16. VIDEO: #EndSARS:The Quest For Reforms And Effective Policing In Nigeria - WebTV, October 10, 2020
17. President Buhari Signs the Nigeria Police Bill 2020 into Law - Proshare, September 17, 2020
19. The Kolade Johnson Killing: #ENDSARS #ReformPoliceNG Group Calls for Signing of Police Reform Bill - Proshare, April 05, 2019
20. VIDEO: Kolade Johnson Killing: #ENDSARS #ReformPoliceNG Group Call for Signing of Police Reform Bill - WebTV, April 05, 2019
21. NBS Publishes 2019 Corruption in Nigeria Survey Report - Proshare, December 06, 2019
22. 134,663 Crime Cases Were Reported in 2017 - NBS - Proshare, June 26, 2018
23. National Corruption Survey: Corruption in Nigeria - Bribery as Experienced by the Population - Proshare, August 16, 2017
28. PDF: Police Affairs / Budgets