January 27, 2012 / Austyn OGANNAH / The WILL.
The Supreme Court has sacked 5 state governors from office in a tenure elongation ruling delivered Friday morning in Abuja .
The 7-panel of justices headed by the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Dahiru Musdapher, ordered the sack of the following:
1. Bayelsa State Governor, Chief Timipre Sylva;
2. Sokoto State Governor, Aliyu Wammako;
3. Kogi State Governor, Alhaji Ibrahim Idris
4. Adamawa State Governor, Admiral Murtala Nyako; and
5. Cross River State Governor, Senator Liyel Imoke.
The five of them belong to the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
The justices approved the appeal filed by INEC that the tenure of the governors ended on May 29, 2011.
An official statement will be released shortly.