Friday, March 23, 2018 10.05AM / The Guardian
The Senate has confirmed the appointment of Mrs. Aisha Ahmad and Mr. Edward Adamu as substantive deputy governors of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), along with three members of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC).
The confirmed members of the MPC are Professor Adeola Festus Adenikinju; Dr. Aliyu Rafindadi Sanusi; and Dr. Robert Chikwendu Asogwa, while the nomination of Dr. Asheikh Maidugu, was rejected.
Their confirmation has put to an end the high level of suspense that heralded the nomination of some of the appointees prior to the screening exercise.
The confirmation has given a fresh hope for the resumption of regular meetings of CBN’s monetary policy members and a renewed confidence for investors, after two consecutive meetings were called off for lack of quorum.
The continued rejection of Maidugu, according to CBN, was on the ground that his present position as “a regular civil servant ladened with bureaucracy and red-tapism may not be independent in his judgment on each crucial decision of the MPC that affects directly the whole economy.”
There has been no decision on what happens to the him or the slot.
1. Senate Confirms Aisha Ahmad and Edward Lametek Adamu as Deputy Governors of CBN – Mar 22, 2018
2. Senate Mandates Committee To Report Back In A Week on CBN and MPC Members Confirmation – Mar 15, 2018
3. January 2018 MPC Meeting: Caught Between Two Arms - Proshare – Jan 22, 2018
4. Buhari To Appoint Edward Lametek Adamu as Deputy Governor of CBN – Jan 25, 2018
5. President Buhari Appoints Aisha Ahmad as CBN Deputy ... - Proshare – Oct 06, 2017
6. MPC: No Change With or Without a Meeting
7. Statement on January 2018 Meeting of the Monetary Policy Committee
8. Senate Refuses to Budge on The Approval of Monetary Policy Committee Nominees - Jan 16, 2018
9. Alade Retires as CBN Deputy Governor - Mar 23, 2017
10 Time for Buhari to announce all Board appointments - CBN ... - Proshare – Jan 06, 2016