Monday, November 25, 2019 / 9:05 AM / Ottoabasi Abasiekong
for Proshare WebTV / Header Image Credit: WebTV
Seplat Petroleum Development Company Limited emerged the overall winner of the 2019 Pearl Awards, which is designed to celebrate excellence and leadership in the Nigerian capital market.
At an event that was attended by regulators, leaders and key stakeholders in the capital market, Seplat achieved the feat of emerging the "PEARL" back-to-back (2018 and 2019), which was a notable feat.
The award was presented Seplat's management, by the Chairman of the Board of the Securities and Exchange Commission ,(SEC), Mr Olufemi Lijadu, and Ms Mary Uduk, the Acting Director-General of SEC, supported by Dr Farouk Umar, Chairman of the PEARL Awards Board.
Apart from winning the overall PEARL Awards for 2019, Seplat Plc also clinched the sectoral awards for the Oil and Gas segment and that of the net asset ratio.
The Chairman of the Board of Pearl Awards Dr Umar believed that the awards was an avenue for encouraging development of the capital market, and praised the Federal Government for supporting the market.
President of Pearl Awards, Mr Tayo Orekoya, speaking on the theme of the 2019 edition "Celebrating Sustainable Leadership & Resilience" said the event was recognizing leaders who represent beacons of hope for the capital market.
Orekoya said that on the threshold of a quarter of a century celebrations, PEARL awards has recognized and rewarded over 85 quoted Nigerian companies for outstanding operational and stock performance with eighteen (18) emerging as the overall highest awards winners of the stock market at different times.
According to him "The PEARL Awards remains the only Awards in Nigeria that rewards outstanding performance of quoted companies in the Nigerian capital market based on verifiable facts and figures.
We remain humbled that our impartiality, transparency, fairness and unbias have continued to endear us to major stakeholders in the capital market. We commit to uphold and be sustainably guided by these principles".
Orekoya said the PEARL Awards will expand its scope to cover the fixed income securities, derivatives and registrars space. He also said the board is also working out modalities for establishing the "African" version by 2021.
The Acting Director-General of the Securities and Exchange Commission Ms Uduk commended the PEARL Awards team for its legacy of driving excellence and competitiveness in the capital market.
She assured stakeholders of the continued support of the Apex regulator for efforts towards lrewarding hardwork, dedication, ingenuity and excellence in the capital market.
Chairman of the Board of SEC Nigeria Lijadu, praised the PEARL Awards for evolving for over two (2) decades and remaining consistent in its drive to support the growth of the capital market.
Dr Abiodun Adedipe, an economist and board member of PEARL Awards in the presentation of the "Nigerian Stock Market Annual" 2020 edition noted that a key takeaway from the report was that Nigeria and West Africa remained key destinations for attracting private equity and even venture capital investments.
He noted from the report that the government should explore catalyzing the growth of the commodities exchange market to help diversify the economy and give it revenue earnings.
Adedipe outlined the following key issues addressed by the NSMA 2020 edition, which include;
Below is the full list of the Award categories and the winners;
SECTORAL LEADERSHIP AWARDS
(2) ICT (Telecommunications / Systems)
(3) CONSUMER GOODS (Breweries)
4) CONSUMER GOODS (Food Prod & Bev)
(5) CONSUMER GOODS(Household Prod.)
(6) FINANCIAL SERVICES (Banking)
(7) FINANCIAL SERVICES (Insurance)
(8) FINANCIAL SERVICES (Other Fin. Inst)
(9) HEALTHCARE (Pharmaceuticals)
10) INDUSTRIAL GOODS (Building Materials)
(11) OIL AND GAS (Petroleum Products)
(12) SERVICES (Printing & Publishing)
(13) FINANCIAL SERVICES (Mortgage Co)
(14) SERVICES (Hotels / Lodging)
NOMINEES FOR MARKET EXCELLENCE AWARDS
(1) EARNINGS YIELD
(2) RETURN ON EQUITY
(3) DIVIDEND YIELD
(4) DIVIDEND GROWTH
(5) DIVIDEND COVER
(6) NET ASSET RATIO
(7) SHARE PRICE APPRECIATION
SPECIAL RECOGNITION AWARDS
Stockbroking Firm of the Year
Issuing House of the Year Award
2019 PEARL Capital Market Journalist Of the Year
2019 PEARL Media Award For Quality Capital Market Reporting
2019 PEARL Most Outstanding CEO of the Year
2019 Overall PEARL Award Winner
Related to Pearl Awards
2. 2018 Pearl Awards To Hold On 25th November, 2018 - Oct 21, 2018
3. PEARL Awards Inaugurates New Board of Governors, Plans to Expand into Africa - Sept 05, 2018
6. Gowon graces 2017 PEARL Awards, United Capital emerges overall winner - Nov 27, 2017
7. Suspense as Corporate Giants Battles For 2017 Pearl Awards - Nov 23, 2017
8. Pearl Awards Nigeria Steps Down 2016 Awards Nite - Nov 04, 2016
9. Tinubu, Gwarzo, Antwi, Osunkeye, Others for 20th PEARL Awards - Nov 27, 2015
10. PEARL Awards Holds 20th Anniversary Edition in Style - Nov 12, 2015
11. SEC Ag. DG Urges PEARL Awards to Evaluate Firms on Corporate Governance - Mar 19, 2015
12. Ghana SEC DG, Elumelu, Okoya-Thomas, others for 2014 PEARL Awards - Nov 13, 2014
13. FBN Holdings, others bag laurels at PEARL awards - Nov 25, 2013
14. Pearl Awards Release Names of 2012 Nominees - Nov 19, 2012