Tuesday, 10 July, 2018 05.10AM / News Release
Being points from the Address of the PDP National Chairman Prince Uche Secondus at the Signing of Memorandum of Understanding MOU between the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP and 38 other Political Parties at the Shehu Yar Adua Center, Abuja on Monday July 9th, 2018.
I welcome you all to this historic occasion that is going to be a watershed in the political evolution of our great country.
I liken what is happening here today to many landmark events in our political development as a nation starting from the amalgamation of the Northern and Southern Protectorates that became Nigeria in 1914.
Other such land mark days in our country includes, the day the colonial masters transited political power to Nigerians on October 1, 1960 after tortuous struggle by our forefathers.
That historic day 14th January 1970 when the 30 months brutal civil war in Nigeria ended with the no victor, no vanquished understanding declared by the then Head of state General Yakubu Gowon.
Today is also like that day on October 1, 1979 when the military handed over power to a civilian adminstration
In a day like this, we cannot forget the struggle that led to the elimination of Abacha regime on June 8, 1998, the struggle and sacrifice that culminated in the May, 29th 1999 final return to democracy in our land.
Another landmark day in our polity that we must remember in a day like this is the first ever successful transfer of power from civilian to civilian administration that happened with the PDP surrendering power to APC on May 29th 2015.
I have taken us this memory lane for us to properly appreciate the import of what we are gathered here to do today to help rescue our nation that is presently going through hardship with endless killings and blood flow in a country that is not at war with any nation.
We have all witnessed all forms of intimidation aimed at suffocating democracy in our land, frame ups, arrests and total break down of law and order in some areas like Zamfara state where a Governor had to relinquish his chief Security officer status.
Just last week the APC conquest regime came up with Executive order which all political watchers including civil society groups liken to Decree2 of the military era.
We know why they are doing this on the eve of a general election because they know the people have turned their back on them but they want to retain power at all cost including cowing us down.
But we cannot be cowed, if our heroes past had been cowed down in these historic events I just highlighted above we would not have democracy or a nation today.
We must stand up for the rule of law to prevail or posterity would judge us harshly.
Our leaders were fearless and united and they rescued this country from draconian regimes in the past.
By what we are doing today, fear has taken flight and spirit of God has taken over, we must stand up to defend our people.
I therefore call on all of us to be strong, steadfast and courageous, lets chase out APC in our lives and form a National Government that will bring succor to our people.
Let us be firm in our decisions anticipating that our enemies will come up with all form of intrigues and strategies to rig election but we call on the international community to watch happenings in our polity with an eagle eye to save democracy in our country.
In conclusion,my dear people, lovers of democracy, report I got last night shows that Nigerians are still being killed in Plateau and some other states. I urge us to stand up for a minute silence for the souls of the innocent Nigerians who died in the these senseless killings.
Let's collectively say-#Buhari! Nigeria lives matter, Stop the killings Now.
Thanks and God bless.
Prince Uche Secondus
National Chairman of PDP
1. Ekiti 2018 Guber Polls: 5 Things to Note
2. Opeyemi Agbaje Declares for Ogun State Governorship Race Under SDP
3. In Defence Of The Fulani In Our Midst
4. Macron to Meet Buhari, Visit Fela’s Afrika Shrine and Open Alliance Francais Centre in Lagos
5. Broken Truths: Nigeria''s Elusive Quest For National Cohesion
6. The Jos Massacre: The Consequence and Fallacy Of The Appeasement Policy
7. Ten Years After Lamidi Adedibu
8. APC Nigeria holds National Convention, Affirms Oshiomhole as Chairman
9. Full Text of Tinubu Speech at APC Convention - June 23, 2018
10. The Imperative of Christian Participation in Governance
11. Super Eagles And Marcus The Pig At The World Cup
12. Eid-el-Fitr 2018:Buhari, Saraki call on Nigerians to Imbibe Tolerance, Patriotism
13. President Buhari’s Remarks At The Investiture Honouring The Heroes of June 12, 1993
14. “Just Do Good”: A June 12 Story
15. Trump and Kim Jong-un Hold Historic Meeting, Sign Agreement Towards A Peaceful Korean Peninsula
16. Nigeria’s Federal Government Honours June 12 Pro-Democracy Heroes