October 14, 2021 / 05:06 PM / By NGX / Header Image Credit: NGX
Nigerian Exchange Limited (NGX or The Exchange) has announced the resignation of Mr. Oscar N. Onyema, OON, as Non-Executive Director, effective immediately.
Mr. Onyema's resignation comes on the back of the imminent listing of Nigerian Exchange Group Plc (NGX Group or The Group), where he serves as the Group Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO), on the main board of NGX.
Consequent upon this resignation by Mr. Onyema, NGX will uphold Rule 184(2)(a) of the Securities and Exchange Commission Consolidated Rules 2013 which states that "A securities exchange shall have a code of conduct for its council members or board which shall be approved by the Commission, and shall contain amongst others the following provisions, to wit, that the council members or board shall: (a) not be a staff of a quoted company and its subsidiaries".
Speaking on the development, the Chairman, NGX, Mr. Abubakar Mahmoud, SAN, OON stated, "On behalf of the Board and Management of The Exchange, I extend our heartfelt gratitude to Mr. Onyema for his selfless service to The Exchange. As he transitions into this new phase as the GMD/CEO of a listed company, we reiterate our commitment to act in the best interest of all Issuers to the benefit of all stakeholders in the capital market".
The Chief Executive Officer, NGX, Mr. Temi Popoola, CFA noted that, "NGX owes its solid foundation to the effort of leaders like Mr. Onyema who worked tirelessly to build a capital market infrastructure we can be proud of. During his time as a Non-Executive Director on the Board of NGX, he brought to bear his wealth of experience and the unique institutional knowledge he possesses and we are grateful for that".
To commemorate the listing of NGX Group on NGX, Mr. Popoola will host the Group Chairman, NGX Group, Otunba Abimbola Ogunbajo and the GMD/CEO, Oscar N. Onyema, OON and other key stakeholders to a virtual Closing Gong Ceremony on Friday, 15 October 2021.
Related to Oscar Onyema
1. Oscar N. Onyema Elected to the Board of World Federation of Exchanges - Sep 10, 2021
4. Oscar Onyema, NSE new CEO promises open-door policy - Apr 05, 2011
Related News on Demutualisation
7. NGX Group Launches New Brand Identity and Website - Apr 13, 2021
10. SEC Approves Appointment of CEOs of Demutualised Entities of The NSE - Apr 01, 2021
11. Demutualization of NSE: Innovative Products Key to Deepening Capital Market - Mar 23, 2021
13. NSE Completes Demutualisation, SEC and CAC Approve - Mar 10, 2021
14. Demutualisation: NSE Announces Chief Executives for Emerging Entities - Jan 06, 2021
15. NSE Demutualisation Receives Boost as Court Sanctions Scheme of Arrangement - May 18, 2020
16. NSE Members Assent to Demutualisation Resolutions at COM and EGM - May 03, 2020
17. NSE Set to Hold Strategic Meetings As Demutualization Nears Completion - Feb 12, 2020
19. NSE Demutualisation Crosses Major Hurdle As Buhari Signs Bill - Sep 27, 2018
21. Members Approved NSE Demutualisation Process - Mar 30, 2017
22. NSE Announces Financial Advisers for Demutualisationâ€‹ - Oct 13, 2015
23. Brokers call on SEC board to publish guidelines for demutualisation - Mar 05, 2013
24. Demutualisation of NSE may begin in Q2 - Mar 01, 2012
25. SEC Inaugurates NSE's Demutualisation Committee - Sep 23, 2011
26. ASHON writes SEC on Council Members, Demutualisation - Apr 13, 2011
27. NSE restructures ahead of demutualisation plans - Mar 11, 2011
28. Why a return to demutualisation would be a great relief - May 20, 2010
30. NSE Demutualisation to be Concluded in 2012 - Sep 28, 2010
31. NSE DG leaves office November 2010, suspends demutualisation - Nov, 2010
32. Shareholder leader query NSEs proposed demutualisation - Jan 19, 2009