October 28, 2021 / 03:10 PM / by NGX / Header Image Credit: EcoGraphics
The Board of FBN Holdings Plc has announced that Mr. U.K. Eke, MFR, is poised to retire as Group Managing Director, FBNHoldings, Nigeria's foremost banking and financial services group, following the successful completion of his two-term tenure and his Notice of Retirement which he tendered August 10, 2021. His retirement takes effect at the end of the current Financial Year on December 31, 2021. Mr. Eke's retirement follows from a 35 years' career in financial services, strategy, auditing, consulting, taxation, process reengineering and capital market operations. He has spent almost 11 years in the FBNHoldings Group, serving meritoriously in the last six years as Group Managing Director.
He has been able to build sustainable synergies across the FBNHoldings Group, fostering collaborations to maximize business development opportunities with diverse stakeholders globally. His tenure has witnessed an upsurge in value creation for shareholders and other stakeholders, with a diversified and healthier portfolio. Remarkably, as at January 01, 2016, FBNHoldings share price was N5.13 and market capitalization of N175b trading at price to book of 0.29; whereas comparatively as at October 26, 2021, the price was N12.40, with market capitalization of nearly N445b and price to book of 0.58.
The FBNHoldings Board has also announced that Eke will be succeeded by Mr Nnamdi Okonkwo, a focused and result-oriented top banker, who will assume office as Group Managing Director, FBN Holdings Plc effective January 1, 2022. Okonkwo, the immediate past Chief Executive Officer of Fidelity Bank Plc, brings to bear on the Board of FBNHoldings more than 30 years unbroken banking career spanning local and international experience.
He has a wealth of experience in transformational leadership, business strategy development and visioning, innovative corporate governance and risk management. He has led the transformation of banks, with the most recent being Fidelity Bank, where he led the management team in seven years to achieve remarkable results culminating in tripling profit and shareholder value.
Okonkwo previously served as the Executive Director for Southern Nigeria in Fidelity Bank. He has worked meritoriously on an international level in his capacity as the Managing Director of UBA Ghana; Director, UBA Liberia and a Director of the Ghana National Banking College. He has served in various leadership positions across other financial institutions including Broad Bank of Nigeria Ltd; Citizens International Bank, Nigeria; FSB International Bank Plc, Nigeria; Guaranty Trust Bank Plc, Nigeria; and Merchant Bank of Africa, Nigeria. Mr Okonkwo made remarkable feats as a Director in various organizations including UBA Ghana, UBA Liberia, Nigeria e-government Strategy (Negst), Nigeria Interbank Settlement System Plc, Unified Payment System Ltd and as Chairman, Shareholders Audit Committee FMDQ, amongst others.
His appointment is subject to the approval of regulatory authorities.
The Board of FBN Holdings Plc. approved the appointment of Mrs Tope Orhionsefe Omage as a Non- Executive Director of First Bank of Nigeria Limited by the Board of FirstBank, subject to the approval of the CBN.
The Board further announced the renewal of the appointments of Dr. Adesola Adeduntan and Mr. Gbenga Shobo as the Managing Director and Deputy Managing Director of FirstBank respectively, for another term.
In same vein, the Board announced the renewal of appointments of Mr. Kayode Akinkugbe and Mr. Taiwo Okeowo as the Managing Director and Deputy Managing Director of FBNQuest Merchant Bank Limited respectively, for another term.
PDF - 100 Days After CBN's Board Removal: First Bank's Shaky House of Cards Report (PDF)
1. Executive Summary: 100 Days After CBN's Board Removal: First Bank's Shaky House of Cards - September 19, 2021
2. Full Report: 100 Days After CBN's Board Removal: First Bank's Shaky House of Cards - September 19, 2021
1. The Phoenix: Matters Arising as Otedola Acquires 5% Interest in FBNH â€“ Oct 25, 2021
2. FBN Holdings Notifies of a New Investor With Over 5% Stake - Oct 24, 2021
4. Sept. 19, 2021
5. Of First Bank and Bad Debtors; A System's Throbbing Headache - Apr 30, 2021 - Proshare Editorial
6. CBN Removes Boards of First Bank of Nigeria, FBN Holdings; Appoints New Chairmen - Apr 29, 2021 - Proshare News
7. Analyzing the H1 2017 Performance of FBNHoldings Plc - A Comprehensive Report - Oct 23, 2017, Proshare Research
8. FBNHoldings Plc Q1' 2017 Performance Assessment Report Updated - Sep 25, 2017, Proshare Research
9. Bank NPLs (23) - The Case for a New Approach - Jun 07, 2020 - Debtors Africa
10. W. Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne (2004) "Blue Ocean Strategy"
11. Board Governance: A Thin Line Between Oversight and Operations - Sep 28, 2020 - IoD Centre for Corporate Governance
13. CEO Remuneration 2021 Report: From COVID to Collaboration - Aug 01, 2021, Proshare Research
14. Memo to the Market - The NSE, Oscar Onyema Foundation and Corporate Governance - Aug 20, 2018, Olufemi Awoyemi, Proshare
15. FBN Holdings Plc - IR Page on Proshare MarketsProshare Research
16. Annual Accounts - IR Page in ProshareProshare Research
17. Bernard Longe wins suit against First Bank Plc, Supreme Court decides today - Mar 05, 2010, Proshare