Friday, September 17, 2021
The US Gulf of Mexico is gradually bringing back disrupted production - as of today roughly a quarter of oil output remains offline - however the overall anticipation of further stock draws in the US have weighed upon the market sentiment and helped Brent prices home in on the $75 per barrel mark. Ida-triggered supply disruptions will only exacerbate the market tightness in the upcoming weeks, as the pace of global demand recovery exceeds supply increments, despite OPEC+ pushing out more barrels into the market. China's Oil Consumption to Peak in 2026. China's oil consumption is expected to peak around 2026 at 16 mbpd, whilst natural gas will see a much more protracted path to an apogee in 2040 (at 620bcm or 22Tcf), stated the acting chairman of China's leading refiner Sinopec (SHA:600028).
Petrobras Under Pressure as Fuel Prices Rise. Brazil's national oil company Petrobras (NYSE:PBR) is coming under increasing domestic scrutiny as the parliament's speaker claimed he was left unsatisfied with explanations provided by the oil firm's executive about recent fuel price increases in the Latin American country.
Nickel Prices Rise on Supply Constraints. Nickel prices have been nearing a 7-year high after Indonesia declared it is mulling an export tax on nickel products with less than 70% Ni content, pushing benchmark LME prices up by 3% on Friday, at $19,920 per metric tonne. Dangote Invites Trading Majors to Finance Refinery. Africa's richest man Aliko Dangote is in talks with the world's leading oil trading firms Trafigura and Vitol to co-finance the 600kbpd Dangote Refinery as its cost has ballooned from $12 to $19 billion over the years. BP Inks Abu Dhabi Clean Energy Deals. UK-based oil major BP (NYSE:BP) signed three agreements with UAE firms ADNOC and Masdar, aiming to develop 2 GW of low-carbon hydrogen production capacity in the UK and the Emirates, as well as to implement a "decarbonized air corridor" between London and Abu Dhabi. Saudi Aramco Officially Named Marketer of Guyana. Guyana's government confirmed that Saudi Aramco's (TADAWUL:2222) trading arm ATL will receive a one-year contract to market the state's crude entitlement, with the contract running until August 2022. Fire Halts Key UK Power Interconnector. Just as power prices spiral out of control across Europe, fire on the IFA1 interconnector between the United Kingdom and France has forced 1GW of key interconnection capacity offline until at least until March 2022. Day-ahead British power prices surged 19% on Wednesday to Ã‚Â£475 per MWh.
High Interest in Norway's Licensing Round. The most recent licensing round of new acreage in the Norwegian Continental Shelf has attracted bids from 31 oil firms including NCS regulars Equinor (NYSE:EQNR) and Lundin Energy (STO:LUNE), just as Norway's election winners, the Labour Party, reiterated their support for further drilling.
Albemarle Ends Chile Strike. The world's largest lithium producer Albemarle (NYSE:ALB) reached a new 36-month labor contract deal with the worker' union of the Atacama salt flat plant, ending a month-long strike that jeopardized its production of battery-grade lithium carbonate.
EU Hesitant to Slap Duties on Chinese Aluminium. According to media reports, the EU should slap import duties of 14-25% on Chinese aluminium as it concludes internal investigations into dumping of flat-rolled products, however Brussels seems inclined to suspend their implementation by 9 months, wary of Beijing's reaction.
Tullow Upgrades Kenya Project Scope. UK-based oil firm Tullow Oil (LSE:TLW) increased the overall resource estimate of its Turkana project that should now have an output plateau of 120kbpd (up 50% from the previous estimate) with a total of 585 million barrels of oil recoverable.
Uranium Price Insanity Continues. The Sprott Physical Uranium Trust continued its purchases, having already aligned on an expanded equity sales program of up to 1 billion in the upcoming months, pushing uranium prices to a 9-year high of $48 per pound of U308.
PEMEX Gives up on Vitol. Mexican national oil company PEMEX cancelled a series of contracts with the world's largest trader Vitol amidst an ongoing graft investigation that has reportedly uncovered a system of kickbacks and bribes to land supply deals with the Mexican firm. Hyundai and LG Start Working on Indonesia Gigafactory. Availing themselves of Indonesia's vast nickel resources, South Korea's Hyundai Motor (KRX:005380) and LG Energy Solutions started construction on the Southeast Asian country's first EV battery Gigafactory that would have an initial production rate of 150,000 EV batteries.
Australia's Coal Mines Might Get Stranded. A report issued by the Australian Central Bank sees the country's plentiful coal resources becoming stranded under three out of four scenarios that it charted, stoking fears that the world's biggest exporter of coal might be out of markets by 2030.
The post Oil Ends Week On Bullish Note As Outages Persist first appeared in Oilprice.com on September 17, 2021.
Related News - Previous Oilprice Intelligence Report
1. Oil Prices Climb as Another Storm Hits the Gulf Coast- OIR 140921
2. Oil Prices Bounce Back as Bullish Sentiment Returns - OIR 100921
3. Oil Prices Slide Despite Supply Disruption - OIR 070921
4. Oil Remains Elevated After Hurricane Ida Hurts Supply - OIR 030921
5. Hurricane Ida Hurts Oil Demand Ahead of OPECPlus Meeting - OIR 310821
6. Oil Stages Strong Recovery - OIR 270821
7. Oil Rebounds on Mexico Production Outage - OIR 240821
8. The Oil Price Collapse Continues - OIR 200821
9. The Calm Before the Storm for Oil Markets? - OIR 170821
10. Oil Prices Resilient Despite Demand Doubts - OIR 130821
Related News - Oil and Gas
1. Average Prices of PMS, AGO, HHK and Cooking Gas - August 2021
2. Nigeria Mining Week Back in October with Seven Compelling Reasons to Invest in Burgeoning
3. Why Banning Fossil Fuel Investments Would Crush Africa
4. OPECplus Sticks to its Plan of Gradual Increase in Oil Output
5. Experts to Discuss PIA: Implications for Businesses, Local Communities, and Sustainable Development
6. The Petroleum Industry Act - Redefining the Nigerian Oil and Gas Landscape
7. Fitch Ratings Increases Gas Price Assumptions for 2021 and 2022
8. OPECplus Maintains Monthly Output Increase by 400,000bpd
9. The Petroleum Industry Act Needs Whistleblowing Mechanism to Ensure Transparency
10. Average Prices of PMS, AGO, HHK and Cooking Gas - July 2021