Friday 29 June 2012 / Chatham House, London
Participants: Joseph Stiglitz, Professor of Economics, Columbia University; Nobel Laureate; Author of The Price of Inequality
Chair: Dr DeAnne Julius, Chairman, Chatham House
Type: Members Events
Joseph Stiglitz will argue that, with the richest 1% having access to the best healthcare, education and housing, high levels of income disparity are to the detriment of not only the other 99%, but the economic health of countries as a whole. He will point to a number of factors which explain extreme levels of inequality – inefficient and unstable markets, the failure of political systems to correct the shortcomings of these markets, and the fundamental imbalances in current political and economic systems – and propose what can be done to address them.