Friday, July 06, 2018 08:04 AM / FDC
As Buhari grudgingly assented to the 2018 budget, expectations of him opening the spending spigot have proven overly optimistic. He is still in an austere mood.
But the economy needs audacious and huge investment outlays to substantially move the GDP growth needle. This is only going to happen if and when the supplementary budget is presented and approved.
However, with the APC facing the greatest test of its survival, a smooth sailing new budget deal will be a farfetched notion at this point in time.
The Nigerian economy will be crippled by the internal squabbling between the executive and the legislature, but that is a small price to pay for democracy and freedom.
In the mean time, Nigeria is one of the few countries likely to benefit from the new world economic Disorder and the emergence of elected global strongmen (autocrats – Erdogan, Putin, Trump & Xi).
Nigeria’s external trade is tilting towards these countries supported by currency swap deals and export credit supported project finance
Just as Nigeria welcomed Monsieur Macron to the African shrine, it will also prepare to receive the determined but proud super eagles as they return from Russia with Love Tears.
All of these and more have been covered in this month’s edition of the LBS Executive Breakfast Session, in which Bismarck Rewane and the FDC Think Tank provide an analysis of the implications of these developments on your business, investments and personal consumption.
1. The New Political Calculus – LBS EBS – June 2018
2. Make Hay In May, While The Sun Still Shines – LBS EBS – May 2018
3. Talking Economics and Thinking Politics – LBS EBS – April 2018
4. At $65, Oil is Up 22.4% in 12 Months, Can It Fall Again?? – LBS EBS – March 2018
5. 2019 - The Changing Political Calculus – LBS EBS – February 2018
6. The FDC 2018 Periscope – The Good, The Bad and The Annoying
7. There is More to Economic Growth Than Numbers - LBS EBS – December 2017
8. The More Things Change The More They Stay The Same - LBS EBS – November 2017
9. Basking in the Afterglow of Reform - LBS EBS – October 2017
10. Buhari Returns: Hope High and Challenges Daunting - LBS EBS - September 2017
11. Nigerian’s Domestic Debt: A Ticking Time Bomb - LBS EBS – August 2017
12. Nigeria: Is The Recovery For Real? - LBS EBS – July 2017
13. Nigeria: Recovery Slow, Steady but Painful – LBS-EBS June 2017
14. Nigerians May Escape from Anxiety with a Stronger Naira - LBS EBS - May 2017
15. Naira Gains as the CBN Tries to Catch a Falling Knife - LBS EBS - April 2017
16. Economic Reform by Coincidence - Does It Really Matter? - LBS EBS – March 2017
17. Nigeria's Economic Reform - Resist Now and Regret Later - LBS EBS - Feb 2017
18. 2017: A Year of Fear Laced with Hope
19. Running Faster to Stand Still – LBS EBS – Dec 2016
20. Recovery Fades, Strong Regulator versus Efficient Markets – LBS EBS Nov 2016
21. Nigeria Oil Shock 2.0 and the Treacherous Path to Recovery – LBS EBS Oct’16
22. Recession: how deep and for how long? – LBS EBS Sep’16
23. Policy Daunting, Markets Uncertain, Citizens Groan – LBS EBS – Aug 2016
24. With Inflation at 16.5%,Nigeria Stumbles into the Reform Path-LBS EBS Jul 2016
25. Sell in May and Go Away - LBS EBS - May 2016
26. The Squandering of a Golden Economic Opportunity – LBS EBS Apr 2016
27. Naira Weakness Undermines Economic Stability – LBS EBS – March 2016
28. 2016: The Year of Stark Economic Reality – LBS EBS – Feb 2016
29. 2016 - A Year of Growth and Commodity Turmoil – LBS EBS – Dec 2015
30. Fantasy economics & the value of the Naira – LBS EBS – Nov 2015
31. All the Presidents’ Men - Dream team or Lightweights – LBS EBS – Oct 2015
32. Loot Recovery? Restitution is no Retribution - LBS EBS – Sep 2015
33. Nigeria goes back to the Future : Market vs. Control Economy - LBS EBS - Aug 2015
34. Buhari: Slow Start or Guessing Game – LBS EBS – July 2015
35. Reflating a Strangulating Economy – LBS EBS – Jun 2015
36. Leadership Change is not a System Change – LBS EBS April 2015
37. Is the Naira Ever Going to Recover? – LBS EBS – March 2015
38. Nigeria at Crossroads- Stability or Change, Which do You Prefer? -LBS EBS – Feb 2015
39. The Falling Naira: Are you Prepared? - LBS EBS- Jan 2015
40. Octobers can be eventful - LBS EBS – Nov 2014
41. Inflation Up, Stock Market Down, What Next? - LBS EBS Sep 2014
42. MUMU-NOMIKS vs. Economics – LBS EBS – Jun 2014