Lagos State has the highest domestic and foreign debt profile in 2016 - NBS


Tuesday, May 2, 2017 1:22 PM/NBS

Nigerian States and Federal Debt Stock data as at 31st December 2016 reflected that the country’s foreign and domestic debts stood at $11.41bn and N14.02trn respectively in 2016.

Further disaggregation of Nigerian foreign debt showed that $7.99bn of the debt was multilateral; $198.25m was bilateral (AFD) and $3.22bn from the Exim Bank of China credited to the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN).

Total FGN debt accounted for 68.72% of Nigeria’s total foreign debt while all States and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) accounted for the remaining 31.28%. Similarly, total FGN debt accounted for 78.89% of Nigeria’s total domestic debt while all States and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) accounted for the 21.11% balance.

A breakdown of the FGN domestic debt stock by instruments reflected that N7.56trn or 68.41% of the debt are in Federal Government Bonds; N3.28trn or 29.64% are in treasury bills and N215.99mln or 1.95% are in treasury bonds.

Lagos State has the highest foreign debt profile among the thirty-six states and the FCT accounting for 38.70% while Kaduna (6.25%), Edo (5.15%), Cross River (3.22%) and Ogun (2.90%) followed closely. Similarly, Lagos State has the highest domestic debt profile among the thirty-six and the FCT accounting for 10.54% while Delta (8.15%), Akwa Ibom (5.25%), FCT (5.16%) and Osun (4.97%) followed in that order.

Click Here to Download Nigerian Domestic and Foreign Debt 2016 (PDF) Report 

Latest 2017 NBS Reports    

Q2 2017 

1.       2,556 Road Traffic Crashes Recorded in Q1 2017 - NBS

2.      FAAC Disburses N466.93bn in March 2017

3.      Daily Energy Generation Attained a Peak of 5,846 MW in Q1 2017 - NBS

4.      Average Prices of PMS, AGO, HHK and Cooking Gas Price Watch - March 2017

5.      Average Intercity Transport Fare Increases to N1,466.46 in Mar’17 from N1,411.87 in Feb’17

6.      Average Prices of 1kg of Yam Tubber Increased by 63.4% YoY in March 2017

7.      CPI Drops to 17.26% in March 2017, 0.52% Lower Than 17.78% February Rate

8.     7.49m Nigerians Are Registered Under the National Pension Scheme As At Q1 2017 - NBS

9.      Lagos Airport Accounted for 69.1% of International Passengers in 2016 - NBS

Q1 2017

10.  11,363 Road Traffic Crashes Recorded in 2016 - NBS

11.   FAAC Disburses N514.15bn in February 2017

12.  FAAC Disburses N430.16bn in January 2017

13.  Average Intercity Transport Fare Decreases to N1,411.87 in Feb’17 from N1430.63 in Jan’17

14.  Average Price of 1kg of Rice Increased by 68% YoY in February 2017

15.   Average Prices of PMS, AGO, HHK and Cooking Gas Price Watch - February 2017

16.  CPI Drops to 17.78% in February 2017, 0.94% Lower Than 18.72% January Rate

17.   Nigeria Produced 43.49m Tons of Solid Minerals in 2016 - NBS

18.  NIPOST Generates N8.84bn Revenue in 2016 - NBS

19.  Q4 2016 Merchandise Trade Intensity - Total Trade Grows by 6.5% in 2016

20. Merchandise Trade Grows in Q4 2016 - Records First Quarterly Positive Trade Balance Since Q4 2015

21.  GDP Contracts by -1.30% in Q4 and -1.51% for Full Year 2016; Is Nigeria on Its Way Out of Recession?

22. JAMB Received 11.7m Applications Between 2010 and 2016

23. Average Kerosene Price Increases to N433.84 in Jan'17 from N231.85 in Dec'16

24. Average Intracity Transport Fare Increases to N122 in Jan'17 from N84.29 in Dec'16

25.  Average Cooking Gas Price Increases to N2,567.56 in Jan’17 from N2,002.16 in Dec’16

26. Average Diesel Price Increases to N240.52 in Jan’17 from N196.20 in Dec’16

27.  Average Petrol Price Increases to N148.7 in Jan'17 from N146.7 in Dec'16

28. CPI Rises to 18.72% in January 2017, 0.17% Higher Than 18.55% December 2016 Rate

29. GENCOs Issued Total Invoice of N331bn to DISCOs in 2016

30. Nigeria Produced 5.79 mln Tonnes of Fish Between 2010 and 2015

31.  4,296 Applications Were Received by NAFDAC for New Products Registration in 2016 - NBS

32. 19,833 Vessels Berthed At Nigerian Ports Between 2013 and 2016 - NBS

33. Total Value of Capital Imported into Nigeria in Q4 2016 Estimated at $1,548.88mln - NBS

34. Telecoms Sector Contributes N1,399bn to GDP in Q3 2016 - NBS

35.  FAAC Disburses N426.88bn in December 2016 - NBS

36. Banking Sector Records 910.18m Volume of Transaction in 2016 on Electronic Payment Channels - NBS

37.  Daily Energy Generation Attained a Peak of 3,859.59MW in Q4 2016 - NBS

38. 10.8% of Nigeria's Total Working Population Are Registered Under The National Pension Scheme - NBS

39. Nigeria Imports 4.83 bn Litres of PMS in Q4 2016 - NBS

40. 72.53% of Nigeria’s Prison Population in 2015 were Un-sentenced - NBS

41.  Lagos, Ogun Top IGR for H1 2016

Related News