Thursday, January 19, 2017 6.22PM / NBS
The National Bureau of Statistics releases the Number of Un-Sentenced Detainees and Overall Prison Population by State and Year from 2011 to 2015.
Based on 2015 data, Lagos State has the highest number of un-sentenced detainees. The state recorded 5,603 un-sentenced detainees out of a prison population of 6,522, followed by Rivers and Edo States with 3,625 and 2,434 un-sentenced detainees.
Conversely, Yobe and Borno States had the least numbers of un-sentenced detainees of 163 and 216 of a prison population of 562 and 603 respectively
Of the 36 states of the Federation, Lagos State had the highest prison population in the country with 6,522 inmates, closely followed by Kano and Rivers States with populations of 4,082 and 4,054 respectively.
The overall prison population in the country for 2015 was 62,260 as against 56, 059 in 2014. The increase in prison population in 2015 represents about 11.06% growth in comparison to the overall prison population in 2014.
Overall, 72.53% of the prison population during the period under reference were un-sentenced.
Click Here to Download Crime Statistics (PDF) Report
Latest 2017 NBS Reports
1. Banking Sector Records 910.18m Volume of Transaction in 2016 on Electronic Payment Channels - NBS
2. Daily Energy Generation Attained a Peak of 3,859.59MW in Q4 2016 - NBS
3. 10.8% of Nigeria's Total Working Population Are Registered Under The National Pension Scheme - NBS
4. Nigeria Imports 4.83 bn Litres of PMS in Q4 2016 - NBS
5. Lagos, Ogun Top IGR for H1 2016