Tuesday, January 31, 2016/ 5.25 PM / SEC
The Commission received 32 complaints between 2012 and 2015 against the 1st to 4threspondents over certain conducts in relation to operations of their Guaranteed Consolidated Notes (GCN) and Guaranteed Premium Notes (GPN).
Investigations revealed that the 1st to the 4th respondents had through the 5th to 32nd breached some provisions of the Investment and Securities Act (ISA) 2007 as well as the SEC Rules and Regulations, which resulted to a loss of about N5,769,993,553.67 for 32 innocent investors.
To ensure the innocent investors obtain justice; while also granting all parties fair hearing, the Commission invited all parties before its Administrative Proceedings Committee (APC). Having properly issued hearing notices, the APC sat on December 8, 2016 to hear the matter. In the course of the hearing, testimonies and documentary evidence were tendered by various parties.
Upon conclusion of the hearing, the SEC APC has reached a final decision which has been approved by the relevant authority. Consequently, the Committee has passed the following sanctions on the under-listed persons:
1. In the Matter of the ISA 2007: Before the SEC APC: Rivers State Min. of Fin. & 32 Others V. BGL Plc
2. SEC Triumphs as Federal High Court Dismisses BGL Cases against the Commission
3. SEC’s petition against Hon. Judge in BGL case unsubstantiated - Judicial Council
4. Federal Court discharges Ex-Parte order obtained by BGL Plc, Reaffirms SEC Suspension
5. SEC Nigeria informs the public of its inability to go ahead with its BGL proceedings
6. Alleged Infractions: BGL to Appear Before SEC On Tuesday, Aug 04, 2015
7. SEC Invites BGL Securities, BGL Assets Mgmt and their Sponsored Individuals to Appear before the SEC APC
8. Re: Confusion hits investors as Trading on BGL Plc Shares is Suspended on NASD OTC Platform – Sep 18, 2015
9. N28.9bn fraud: EFCC arrests BGL boss, Okumagba – Sep 1, 2015
10. Alleged Infractions: BGL to Appear Before SEC On Tuesday, Aug 04, 2015
11. FHC Orders SEC to vacate suspension of BGL Plc and sponsored individuals
12. SEC Suspends BGL and Its Sponsored Individuals from All Capital - May 21, 2015
13. The BGL Debacle, Articles | THISDAY
14. Federal Court nullifies SEC decision to take over BGL Plc – May 08, 2015
15. BGL Plc - Of Regulatory Action, Investor Confidence Issues and Matters Arising – Apr 24, 2015
16. BGL to undergo re-capitalization process
17. Capital Market: BGL Crisis Indicts SEC, NSE – Experts | Apr 27, 2015.
18. BGL to List Shares on NSE - Proshare
19. SEC suspends BGL board, constitutes interim body
20. Private Placement Laws in Nigeria – A critique of Stella Erhurhoro vs BGL Plc - Feb 18, 2014
21. SEC confirms investigation of BGL