Tuesday, November 01, 2016 5.49AM / SEC Release
The Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has delivered its judgments on the three cases filed against the Commission by BGL Plc, its sponsored individuals and subsidiaries.
The cases BGL had brought before the Lagos High Court against the Commission are:
I. FHC/L/CS/767/2015 BGL PLC & 4 ORS VS SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION
II. FHC/L/CS/1050/2015 BGL PLC & 12 ORS VS SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION & 2 ORS
III. FHC/L/121/2016 BGL ASSETS MANAGEMENT LIMITED & 22 ORS VS SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION & ANOR
In its rulings, the Court dismissed all the above cases “for being incompetent”, handing a major victory to the regulatory and investor protection mandates of the Commission.
Now the market can learn more about how investor protection works.
In an unrelated development, market sources indicate that a Nigerian bank may have been instructed by the banking regulator to make provisions of up to N9bn for ‘bad loans’ related to principals and entities associated with or on account of BGL. This is a developing story.
3. SEC’s petition against Hon. Judge in BGL case unsubstantiated - Judicial Council
5. Confusion hits investors as BGL Plc confirmed as NOT TRADABLE on NASD OTC – Sept 18, 2015
6. N28.9bn fraud: EFCC arrests BGL boss, Okumagba – Sep 1, 2015
7. Alleged Infractions: BGL to Appear Before SEC On Tuesday, Aug 04, 2015
8. FHC Orders SEC to vacate suspension of BGL Plc and sponsored individuals
9. SEC Suspends BGL and Its Sponsored Individuals from All Capital - May 21, 2015
10. Okumagba steps aside as CIS president – Punch – May 01, 2015
11. The BGL Debacle, Articles | THISDAY
12. Federal Court nullifies SEC decision to take over BGL Plc – May 08, 2015
13. BGL Plc - Of Regulatory Action, Investor Confidence Issues and Matters Arising – Apr 24, 2015
14. BGL to undergo re-capitalization process
15. Capital Market: BGL Crisis Indicts SEC, NSE – Experts | Apr 27, 2015.
16. BGL to List Shares on NSE - Proshare
17. SEC suspends BGL board, constitutes interim body
18. Private Placement Laws in Nigeria – A critique of Stella Erhurhoro vs BGL Plc - Feb 18, 2014
19. SEC confirms investigation of BGL
20. Okumagba Elected President, Chartered Institute of Stockbrokers