Wednesday, April 18, 2018 07.06AM / By Yusha’u A. Ibrahim of Daily Trust
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has recovered N216, 402,565.05 from Swiss Golden Investment, an online ‘investment’ that purportedly deals in buying and selling of Gold Bars which is said to have instead swindled about 7,000 Nigerians of a total of N3 billion.
A statement from the Spokesman, EFCC zonal office, Kano, Idris Isyaku, who disclosed this in a statement, on Monday, said:
‘’The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has recovered N216,402,565.05 from Swiss Golden Company Limited, an online investment that purportedly deals with buying and selling of gold bars.
‘’The recovery was sequel to a petition the commission received from thousands of complainants who alleged that they invested in Swiss Golden Company Limited, which was advertised as an online investment that deals in buying and selling of gold bars.
‘’The petitioners further alleged that after investing over a billion Naira into the business, Swiss Golden refused to pay them any dividend or pay them back their capital.
‘’Upon receipt of the petition, the commission swung into action by first inviting the petitioners where they volunteered statements. Through intelligence, the commission picked up one Maxim Lobaty, a Russian and two Nigerians, Austin Emenike and Dickson Nonso Onuchukwu, in Lagos.
‘’The trio were, subsequently, conveyed to the Kano operational zone of the EFCC for further investigation.
‘’Swiss Golden, which is headquartered in Hong Kong, was discovered through investigation to be a Ponzi Scheme designed to defraud innocent victims of their hard earned money.
“After being drilled at the commission’s Kano zonal office, Maxim and his co-suspects consented to the refund of the investment. It is through that, a total of N216,402,565.05 have now been recovered.
“Investigation into the alleged fraud is still on going and all efforts are being made to recover the money involved and the alleged suspects brought to justice.”
The Online site is still running as at the time of this report.
frauds & scandals - Proshare
7. SEC Warns Against Ponzi Scheme Operated by Fantastic Esan Bet ... Mar 09, 2016
8. US SEC: Kinross Gold Charged With FCPA Violations Over Two African Subsidiaries
9. UK's FCA Fines CAL £16.9m As Restitution For Role in Unauthorised CIS Unlawfully Promoted
10. NY AG. Announce Record $42m Settlement With Bank Of America Merrill Lynch Over Fraudulent “Masking”
11. New York Attorney General Announces $230m Settlement With UBS Over Misconduct Leading Up To Financia
12. US. SEC Announces Its Largest-Ever Dodd-Frank Whistleblower Awards
13. Egmont Group Meeting: Focus on Nigeria