Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:20 AM / NSE
Following its intervention in the inter-bank Foreign Exchange Market, last week, to the tune of over $800 million, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on Monday, June 19, 2017, injected a total sum of $195m into the inter-bank forex market to meet the requests of customers in the various segments of the market.
A breakdown of the intervention revealed that the Bank offered the sum of $100 million to authorized dealers interbank wholesale window, while it allocated the sum of $50 million to the Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) window.
The invisibles segment was allocated the sum of $45 million to meet the needs of those who applied for Forex to settle Business/Personal Travel Allowances, school tuition, and medicals, etc.
Confirming the figures in the latest round of intervention by the Bank, its Acting Director in charge of Corporate Communications, Mr. Isaac Okorafor, also announced a retail option submitted on Monday, adding that the results would be released subsequently.
The CBN spokesperson said the Bank would continue to ensure adherence to its forex policy by insisting on transparency of all stakeholders to guarantee stability in the market.
It will be recalled that the CBN made two major interventions in the inter-bank Forex market, last week, totaling $831.5 million, just as figures released by the Apex Bank indicated that it had boosted transactions at the Investors’ & Exporters’ (I&E) segment of the market to the tune of $2.2bn.
Also last week, the CBN, in a bid to tackle inflation, unveiled plans to mop up a total of N200.322 billion from the Nigerian banking system through a special Open Market Operation (OMO) at the rate of 16 per cent per annum.
Meanwhile, the naira continued to maintain its stability in the FOREX market, exchanging at an average of
N364/$1 in the BDC segment of the market on Monday, June 19, 2017.
1. Forex Market Analysis: CADJPY has Reached the 84.18-83.86 Resistance Area
2. Naira lifted Again As CBN Injects $418m; Investors and Exports Segment Hits $2.2BN
3. CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m
4. Further Liberalization of the Inter-Bank Foreign Exchange (FX) Market
5. CBN Injects $190m into FX Market; Wholesale Segment Gets $100m as SMEs Receive $50m Boost
6. Ahead of New Week, CBN Set To Meet Needs of Forex Market
7. CBN Lifts Naira With $482.6m; Retail SMIS Receives $286m as Wholesale Segment Gets $100m
8. New Code of Conduct to Clean up Foreign Exchange Market's Dirty Reputation is Released
9. Naira In Upswing...As CBN Targets Convergence
10. Forex Market Analysis: EUR And USD Bullish Sentiment PersistCBN Lists 36 Items Valid For FX in the Nigerian Foreign Exchange Markets