Thursday, July 28, 2016 6:42pm/ CBN
In continuation of the efforts to enhance efficiency, facilitate liquidity and transparency in the foreign exchange market, the CBN issued the Revised Guidelines for the Operations of the Nigerian Inter-bank Foreign Exchange Market on June 15, 2016.
One of the effects of the Guidelines, which liberalized the foreign exchange market, is the increase in balances on foreign currency-denominated loans and advances in the books of banks, especially facilities that had been fully provided for under the previous exchange rate regime, but were yet to be written off, per our extant regulation under Section 3.21(a) of the Prudential Guidelines for Deposit Money Banks in Nigeria of July 1, 2010.
Consequently, to ensure adequate and proper provisioning, banks are by this circular, required to ensure that the unprovisioned portion on all such facilities are fully provided for immediately in the income statements and evidence of the additional provisions forwarded to the Director of Banking Supervision within one week of the date of this circular.
Additionally, all foreign currency-denominated loans should be reviewed and adequate provisioning made on all delinquent ones in line with the Prudential Guidelines for Deposit Money Banks in Nigeria of July 1, 2010.
Please be guided accordingly.
1. Sales of Foreign Currency Proceeds of International Money Transfers to BDC Operators
2. Onboarding Corporates on FMDQ-Advised FX Trading & Surveillance Systems
3. Externalisation of Differentials on OTC FX Futures Contracts for Foreign Portfolio Investors
4. Nigeria Banks Absorb Effective Devaluation
5. The Nigerian OTC FX Futures Market…A Panacea for the FX Needs of Corporates in Nigeria
6. The Floating Exchange Rate and You - FDC
7. The Nigerian Spot FX Two-Way Quote Market Goes Live Post Revised CBN Guidelines Release
8. Nigeria's new FX policy - Implication & Impact @Friday
9. BREAKING: Window for FXPMD has been Thrown Open to every Deposit Money Bank
10. New FX Policy: The CBN Segregates Banks… Who’s in, Who’s out?
11. Wisdom Nuggets – Rescuing and Defending the Naira
12. Impact of a Unified Exchange Rate and Assessment of Playing Field
13. Flexible Exchange Rate: The Bitter Pill
14. Guidelines for Primary Dealership in Foreign Exchange Products
15. How the CBN Naira-Settled OTC FX Futures Market Will Work
16. Exchange-rate flexibility beyond expectation
17. The new fully Floated FX Market – In a Nutshell
18. Implications for Markets as the CBN finally floats the Naira
19. The Nigerian Managed Float Exchange Rate System
20. Revised Guidelines for the Operation of the Nigerian Inter-Bank Foreign Exchange Market