Friday, October 6,
2017 9:15AM/ FBNQuest
Gross official reserves increased by US$670m in September to US$32.5bn. Since the recent low at end-October there has been an accumulation of US$8.5bn. The more telling figure is the increase of US$2.2bn since end-March, when the CBN stepped up its fx interventions under its multiple currency practices (MCP).
When we allow for the sharp fall in imports in the recession, the buffer is now comfortable. By way of caution, we should stress that the figures provided by the CBN are gross and mask the swap transactions it has entered into with local banks.
The pick-up in oil production has been an obvious positive for accumulation. Officials are encouraging the view that it is back at, or close to the 2.0 mbpd level. Further, the FGN plans to raise US$2.5bn by November from additional Eurobond sales, for which the market has a healthy appetite (Good Morning Nigeria, 05 October 2017).
The CBN will also be boosted by the positive signals from the investors’ and exporters’ window (NAFEX). Turnover from its launch in late April through to 04 October totals US$14.5bn.
The latest boost has been provided by the return of the offshore investor to local debt markets. We understand that the CBN’s fx supply to NAFEX is now negligible and we know that it has reduced its supply to other windows such as that for the retail segment for invisibles.
These various positive developments tell us that gross reserves are heading towards the US$40bn mark, which level they last touched in February 2014 (before the most recent slide in the crude oil price).
Given this cushion of reserves, we do not see a major change to the CBN’s MCP either this year or next. The current arrangement suits the authorities, and they are no real pressure to change tack.
2. Reserves Holding Up Very Well
3. Reserves Holding Up Despite FX Interventions
4. Sixth Successive Monthly Rise in Official Reserves to US$31bn
5. Forex: Dealers Subscribe Fully to CBN $150m Wholesale Offer
6. How Sustainable Is The New CBN FX Policy?
7. There is Adequate FOREX for PTA, BTA, Tuition & Medical Fees – CBN
8. CBN to Commence Twice Weekly Forex Sales to BDCs; Increases Sales Amount to $10,000
9. FX Utilisation in January 2017-Symptoms of An Opaque Structure
10. Swiss Franc May be Threatened by the Dollar
11. Forex: CBN Slashes BDC Rate to N360...$100m Offer Fully Subscribed
12. CBN Crashes FOREX Rate for Invisibles to N360 to $1; Pumps $185m into FOREX Market
13. CBN to Sell FOREX to Banks at N357 to $1
14. Dealers Pick $81.3m Out Of $100m Offered By CBN
15. CBN Offered Another $100m Despite Drop In Oil Prices
16. Dollar drops below N400 to US$1 for first time in seven months
17. CBN Lifts Supply with $180m…Invisibles Get $80m
18. Gross Official Reserves Decline by US$580m in October 2016
19. Gross Official Reserves Decline by US$790m in August 2016
20. Gross Official Reserves Decline by US$150m in July 2016
21. Gross Official Reserves Decline by US$20m in June 2016
22. Official Reserves decline by US$700m in May 2016