Friday, February 07, 2020 12:38 PM / by CryptoDavid of BitcoinKE / Header Image Credit: Santander Global Tech
The Fintech Roadmap Implementation Committee of SEC Nigeria has officially been inaugurated.
Recall that late in 2019, the Nigeria Capital Markets Authority formally received and accepted the Report of the Fintech Roadmap Committee and approved the setting up of the recommended implementation committee to drive the actualization of the reports roadmap.
The report provided a detailed on crypto and virtual assets classification, regulation, and standards. Take a look at the recommendations here.
Cryptocurrencies, Virtual Financial Assets (VFAs) and ICOs recommended areas of implementation for the first quarter of 2020 includes:
- Decide on its preferred classification of crypto-currencies (either as Commodities, Securities or Currency)
- Develop a framework for the regulation of VFAs and VFA Exchanges
- Develop a framework for the regulation of equity-based crowdfunding
- Issue guidelines and standards for White Papers and ICOs
- AML and KYC Procedures - Develop a framework for KYC and due diligence for crypto-currencies, VFAs, tokens and ICOs
- Enforce adoption of best practice in Cyber Security and Information Governance
- Define clear taxonomies of tokens based on their nature, characteristics and economic realities as their determining factors. Please recall also that the VFA Working Group that was also set up by SEC Nigeria in 2019 has also made their preliminary report presentation to the Capital Market Committee and will soon make the final report available for public input.
The inaugurated Fintech Innovation Unit at SEC Nigeria offices will now be responsible for managing investor relationships in the following areas:
- Engage and provide regulatory clarification to new entrants into the space
- Facilitate regulator - innovator - market engagements
- Coordinate the communication and dissemination of relevant industry information
- Provide support and advisory services to the industry.
- Other areas that will be driven by the committee are Accelerating investments, Directory Services and Capacity Building
As previously mentioned, the Fintech Roadmap Working Group Committee will develop a supportive and regulatory framework for blockchain and virtual financial assets that is aimed at effective investor protection, financial market integrity, and financial stability.
In an exclusive, according to Chimezie Chuta, Founder & Coordinator, Blockchain Nigeria User Group (BNUG), who has been part of both the Fintech Roadmap Committee and the VFA Working Group and also the Implementation committee:
"The most interesting aspect of this whole thing is the decision by SEC Nigeria to setup an agile Fintech Innovation Unit at the SEC Nigeria office to, among other things, manage investor relationships.
For me, this is the first time an agency of government in my lifetime has acted proactively for the interest of innovation in this my country Nigeria. SEC Nigeria deserves all the accolades it can get for doing this."
Various sub-committees were also created to make the work easier for the committee.
Credit: The post The Fintech Roadmap Implementation Committee of SEC Nigeria, Overseeing Blockchain, Crypto and Virtual Assets, Gets Inaugurated first appeared in BitcoinKE on February 07, 2020
Download Here - Report of the SEC Fintech Roadmap Committee Of The Nigerian Capital Market
1. 2020: Nigeria Optimistic To Retain Position As Africa's Fintech Leader
2. Ten Years Of Fintech Megatrends For The Next Decade
3. Fintech Social Meet 6.0 Explores Regulation And The Growth of Nigeria's Fintech Industry
4. Six African Countries Ranked Among Top 65 In 1st Global Ranking of Fintech Ecosystem
5. FintechNGR Holds Fintech Social Meet 6.0
6. How FirstBank Fintech Summit Is Contributing To Bridge Nigeria's Financial Inclusion
7. THE WORKPLAN: Africa's Biggest Program on the Future of Work and the 4th Industrial Revolution
8. Analysts Discuss Blockchain Technology and Regulation of Digital Assets in Nigeria
9. Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) Will Be Powered By Data - Ade Bajomo
10. How Smart Agriculture Can Harness the Power of Digitization
11. Analysts Review Regulations And The Future Of Fintech In Nigeria
12. UK Restates Commitment To Supporting Nigeria's Fintech Industry
13. New Roles For Women in The Fintech Industry
14. The Role of Fintechs in Africa Digital Economy - Aina
15. FinTechs in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Landscape of Opportunities
16. FUTA and Segun Aina Fintech Innovation Fund Sign MOU on Pioneer Fintech Academic Programme
17. SEC, CBN To Support Nigerian Fintech And Broaden Financial Inclusion
18. Opening Session Nigeria Fintech Week; Welcome Address By Dr Segun Aina,OFR, 29 October 2019
19. Nigeria Fintech Week: SEC Nigeria To Launch Fintech Roadmap
20. Team Requid Wins Maiden Edition of the NSE X-Kathon