Thursday, January 12, 2017 5.34 PM / apo
Six African SMEs have been nominated as finalists for the AFIF Entrepreneurship Award 2017, supported by the Rabobank Foundation. Out of the 51 projects from around the continent and following a few rounds of selection, the jury has selected these innovative projects from Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria and Tanzania for their social, economic and ecological impact, and their potential for growth and job creation nationally and regionally. The winner will be announced during the Africa Finance & Investment Forum (AFIF) 2017 (http://APO.af/y28Bux), which will be held in Nairobi from 13-16 February.
Official Finalists for the AFIF Entrepreneurship Award 2017:
• Aybar Engineering (Ethiopia) - The company has developed the “Aybar BBM”, a technology that prevents excess water from suffocating crops and stores it for later use. There is no other similar technology in the market.
• R n G Company limited (Kenya) - The company sells packaged Rhizo-fix (groundnut inoculum), a biofertilizer that ensures a more efficient groundnut production. It also collects the groundnuts from local farmers to produce affordable cooking oil.
• EuroFresh Exotics (Kenya) - The company produces and exports fresh fruits and vegetables using innovative farming techniques. They also organise capacity building trainings for smallholder farmers.
• First Atlantic Semiconductors & Microelectronics (Nigeria) - This company has developed the “Zenvus”, an intelligent solution to collect soil data using a system of electronic sensors. Its mission is improve farming productivity.
• Kimolo Super rice (Tanzania) - The company is specialized in processing and marketing branded rice and sunflower oil. The project is environmentally friendly since smallholder farmers produce paddy using water run-off from nearby hills.
• Eco Act (Tanzania) - The company was established to address the challenges of urban waste management, plastic pollution, deforestation and climate change. They recycle and transform post-consumer waste plastic into durable and environmentally friendly plastic lumber.
The AFIF Entrepreneurship Award 2017 aims to provide African-based innovative SMEs with support to grow their businesses. The six finalists will receive a free accreditation to join the AFIF 2017 full programme (conferences, trainings, B2B meetings and networking opportunities). The award winner will receive cash prize and one year of national and international media promotion.
“We are delighted to announce the finalists for the AFIF Entrepreneurship Award 2017 after a really difficult selection process. The innovation and creativity of African-based SMEs makes our job more difficult every year. We look forward to welcoming these and many more entrepreneurs at the AFIF 2017 in Nairobi” says Inês Bastos, EMRC (www.EMRC.be) Senior Project Manager.
“I am now internationally known,” says Lazaro Mwakipesile (Raphael Group, Tanzania), winner of the AFIF Entrepreneurship Award 2015. He adds: “I have travelled abroad four times this year to present our company. I expect to travel to the United States soon for a meeting with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation”.
The new edition of the Africa Finance & Investment Forum (AFIF) will be held for the first time in the vibrant city of Nairobi, Kenya, hosted by the Strathmore University. In line with growing international trends, the AFIF will focus on entrepreneurship, innovation and access to finance in key sectors such as energy, water, ICT, health and agriculture. Delegates (SMEs managers, investors, entrepreneurs…) will come from across the world to participate in the AFIF 2017.
About: First Atlantic Semiconductors & Microelectronics Ltd.
1. African Entrepreneurship Award announces 11 Winners for its 2nd Edition 2016
2. African Entrepreneurs are invited to scale their Ventures at AFIF 2017, Nairobi
3. Elumelu: "...Entrepreneurship is the Only Path to Independence And Sustainability."
4. My Internship Experience at Proshare - 9th Grader at Corona
5. Sahara Group Upgrades Vocational Centers, Empowers 2600 Beneficiaries Annually
6. Sahara Foundation Targets 12m Beneficiaries Through Extrapreneurship Platforms
7. BMCE Bank of Africa to announce candidates for 2016 African Entrepreneurship Award
8. Real Sector Financing: CBN Launches Youth Innovative Entrepreneurship Development Programme
9. E-commerce to drive growth of SMEs
10. 2016 Outlook for MSMEs: Critical Times, Strategic Choices