Friday, February 03, 2017 2:49 PM / FDC
Against analyst expectations, January 2017 turned out to be a wet blanket. The purchasing managers’ index (the proxy for manufacturing confidence) contracted from 52 to 48.2. Inflation inched up instead of declining and the naira touched N500/$.
Many analysts are beginning to doubt the prospects of a 2017 recovery and pundits are becoming pessimistic again. The view of the FDC Think Tank is that the slow economic recovery trajectory is still intact, in spite of the January bumps.
The stock market will trade flat to negative but the international borrowing programme of the FGN and a mildly aggressive expenditure on rail infrastructure will help boost growth again.
At this month’s LBS breakfast session, Bismarck Rewane evaluates the probability of an early and sharp recovery as against the possibility of a slow and painful upturn in economic activity in 2017. The impact of these growth dynamics on your business is also highlighted in this lucid presentation.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD REPORT
1. 2017: A Year of Fear Laced with Hope
2. LBS Executive Breakfast Session - Dec 2016 (Running Faster to Stand Still)
3. Recovery Fades, Strong Regulator versus Efficient Markets – LBS EBS Nov 2016
4. Nigeria Oil Shock 2.0 and the Treacherous Path to Recovery – LBS EBS Oct’16
5. Recession: how deep and for how long? – LBS EBS Sep’16
6. LBS Executive Breakfast Session - August 2016 (Policy Daunting, Markets Uncertain, Citizens Groan)
7. Sell in May and Go Away - LBS Executive Breakfast Session May 2016
LBS Executive Breakfast Session -April 2016(Re:The Squandering of a Golden Economic Opportunity)
9. 2016: The Year of Stark Economic Reality – LBS Executive Breakfast Session
10. 2016 - A Year of Growth and Commodity Turmoil
11. LBS Executive Breakfast Session – Nov2015 (Re: Fantasy economics & the value of the Naira)
12. LBS Executive Breakfast Session – Oct2015 (Re: All the Presidents’ Men - Dream team or Lightweights)
13. LBS Executive Breakfast Session – September 2015
Buhari: Slow Start or Guessing Game – LBS July 2015
LBS Executive Breakfast Session - June 2015 (Re: Reflating a Strangulating Economy)
Leadership Change is not a System Change: LBS Executive Breakfast - April 2015
17. Is the Naira Ever Going to Recover? - Mar’ 15 LBS EBS
18. Nigeria at Crossroads- Stability or Change, Which do You Prefer? -LBS EXEC. B/FAST SESSION Feb 2015
The Falling Naira: Are you Prepared? - LBS Executive Breakfast Session, Jan 2015
20. LBS Executive Breakfast Session - November 2014 - Proshare
21. Inflation Up, Stock Market Down, What Next? - LBS EBS Sep’14
22. LBS Executive Breakfast Session - June 2014 : MUMU-NOMIKS vs. Economics