Nigerian Exchange Group
Nigerian Exchange Group (NGX Group or the Group) Plc celebrates 60 years of enabling Africa's largest economy as a leading integrated market infrastructure group in Africa. The Group officially commenced operations on 25 August 1961, as the Lagos Stock Exchange, after it was founded on 15 September 1960.
In commemorating the Diamond jubilee milestone, the Group Chairman, NGX Group Plc, Otunba Abimbola Ogunbanjo paid glowing tribute to the original subscribers of the articles of association, who included R.S.V. Scott, representing C.T. Bowring and Co. Nigeria Ltd.; Chief Theophilus Adebayo Doherty; Sir. Odumegwu Ojukwu; Mr. Akintola Williams and Alhaji Shehu Bukar, as well as John Holt Ltd and Investment Company of Nig. Ltd. (ICON). He stated, "We celebrate the vision of these seven individuals and organisations, who in the Nigerian spirit, broke new ground in starting the Exchange, and we are proud of our sterling history over these six decades. From our humble beginnings when only 19 securities were listed for trading, we are now demutualised and we trade over 300 securities worth about 35 Trillion Naira".
Appreciating the contributions of the capital market ecosystem, the Group Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer, NGX Group, Mr. Oscar N. Onyema, OON, stated, "We must thank our invaluable stakeholders who have contributed to six decades of growth and partnership. To the trading license holders, issuers, regulators, government and its agencies, media, and other stakeholders, we recognise your support and reiterate our commitment to building a market infrastructure group that supports your business objectives across the entire value chain for many years to come".
He further commented on the Group's efforts to build on the existing legacy. "In consonance with the innovative spirit of our founding fathers which has continued to drive our operations, demutualisation has allowed us to transition into a profit-driven, shareholder-held, and globally competitive organisation. Building on six decades of growth and partnership, NGX Group of companies is now positioned to be a key player in strengthening our competitiveness on a larger scale. Our recently launched campaign "The Stock Africa Is Made Of" further encapsulates our commitment to fulfil the dreams of our founding fathers not only in Nigeria, but also in Africa".
It would be recalled that NGX Group recently refreshed its brand identity in an official launch event headlined by the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency Muhammad Buhari (GCFR). NGX Group's new structure boasts three wholly-owned subsidiaries: Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited, the operating exchange with Mr. Temi Popoola, CFA as CEO; NGX Regulation (NGX RegCo) Limited, the independent regulation company with Ms. Tinuade Awe as CEO; and NGX Real Estate (NGX RelCo) Limited, the real estate company with Mr. Gabriel Igbeka as acting CEO.
1. NGX Group Launches New Brand Identity and Website - Apr 13, 2021
4. SEC Approves Appointment of CEOs of Demutualised Entities of The NSE - Apr 01, 2021
7. NSE Completes Demutualisation, SEC and CAC Approve - Mar 10, 2021
8. Demutualisation: NSE Announces Chief Executives for Emerging Entities - Jan 06, 2021
10. NSE Members Assent to Demutualisation Resolutions at COM and EGM - May 03, 2020
11. NSE Set to Hold Strategic Meetings As Demutualization Nears Completion - Feb 12, 2020
13. NSE Demutualisation Crosses Major Hurdle As Buhari Signs Bill - Sep 27, 2018
15. Members Approved NSE Demutualisation Process - Mar 30, 2017
16. NSE Announces Financial Advisers for Demutualisationâ€‹ - Oct 13, 2015
17. Brokers call on SEC board to publish guidelines for demutualisation - Mar 05, 2013
18. Demutualisation of NSE may begin in Q2 - Mar 01, 2012
19. SEC Inaugurates NSEâ€™s Demutualisation Committee - Sep 23, 2011
20. ASHON writes SEC on Council Members, Demutualisation - Apr 13, 2011
21. NSE restructures ahead of demutualisation plans - Mar 11, 2011
22. Why a return to demutualisation would be a great relief - May 20, 2010
24. NSE Demutualisation to be Concluded in 2012 - Sep 28, 2010
25. NSE DG leaves office November 2010, suspends demutualisation - Nov, 2010
26. Shareholder leader query NSEs proposed demutualisation - Jan 19, 2009