Thursday, December 27, 2018
01:27AM / By Steven Scheer of Reuters / Image Credits: Cannabis Tech PR
Israel's parliament has given its final approval to a long-awaited and controversial law to allow exports of medical cannabis, a move that is likely to boost state coffers.
Lawmakers voted 21-0 late on Tuesday, December 25, 2018 in favor of the bill, which still needs approval from cabinet ministers and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Israeli companies - benefiting from a favorable climate and expertise in medical and agricultural technologies - are among the world's biggest producers of medical cannabis.
The finance and health ministries estimate exports could raise tax income by 1 billion shekels ($265 million) a year.
The bill to allow exports imposes tough regulations on exporters and threatens jail terms and hefty fines for violations.
There are eight cultivating companies in Israel - many of which have resorted to opening farms abroad to get into the international market. Parliament said in a statement that there have been dozens of requests from business owners awaiting authorization.
Licenses to engage in medical cannabis will be subject to approval from Israel's Health Ministry and the police.
Separately, Israel's securities regulator on Wednesday cautioned investors to make informed decisions when investing in the growing number of publicly traded medical cannabis firms such as Cannbit, Together and InterCure, given regulatory uncertainty around the world.
Cannabis company shares were up sharply at midday in Tel Aviv.
Source Credits: Israeli Lawmakers Approve Medical Cannabis Exports Law
1. The Dawn Of Medical Marijuana In Israel – Feb 13, 2017
4. UK To Review Medicinal Cannabis Use, Canadian Legalizes Recreational Use - June 20, 2018
6. Hemp as an Agricultural Commodity - Federation of American Scientists – Feb 02, 2015
8. NIGERIAN INDIAN HEMP ACT ~ The Legalnaija Blawg – Oct 07, 2013
9. Cannabis now considered agriculture - Willits News – Feb 10, 2016
10. This will be the next marijuana capital of the world – CNBC – Dec 16, 2016
11. Investment in Marijuana Soars in Canada | Best Countries | US News – Oct 24, 2016
12. The 5 most potent marijuana economies in the world | Fortune – Feb 18, 2015
13. Meet The 8 Hottest Publicly Traded Marijuana Companies – Forbes – Nov 14, 2014
14. 10 Largest Marijuana Companies - 24/7 Wall St – May 21, 2015 – May 21, 2015
15. Largest Marijuana Business In The World, Canopy Growth – Feb 02, 2017
17. Region With Highest Number Of Drug Lords In Nigeria. – Nairaland – Feb o4, 2016
19. How Big Is The Marijuana Market? – CNBC – Apr 20, 2010
20. All-time high for homegrown as pot becomes top cash crop in – The Guardian – Dec 19, 2006